exotic sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Anyone in the Minneapolis area know a good store to buy exotic sugars from? Or, if not, does anyone have a good website to buy them from?

Do you have any asian, indian or mexican markets in or near Montrose? How far are you frm Minneapolis? I just googled Asian Markets Montrose, and a bunch popped up from Minneapolis.

Ha, Montrose is about 1,000 people strong. I work in Minneapolis(inner ring burb).

I will try an asian market. I have been using more and more Turbinado in my beers, along with some of the darker candy syrups. I really love the flavors that I get out of them and want to experiment with some other sugars.

Ive purchased coconut palm sugar and date sugar (just make sure it doesnt have any flour or thickeners) from whole foods which I see they have at least one in Minneapolis.

However, the asian, indian, and latin markets are good sources if you can find them. From asian markets Ive gotten jaggery. Indian markets ive gotten date molasses. Latin markets ive used piconcillo.

How do you like the date sugar? I have researched that and most people seem to say that the date sugar doesn't dissolve. I am really intrigued by the flavor that it would impart though.

the date sugar was alright, but if I were you I would go with the date molasses. Its the same thing just in syrup for instead of crystallized. No need to dissolve it if its already a liquid. I love the stuff. It reminds me a lot of the D or D2 belgian candi syrup. Similar flavor but just a tad different. After all, its liquid dates.

Coconut palm sugar is really good too. So far those 2 have been my favorites to use other than D2.

Im going to check out some thai palm sugar and follow suit with a cane and ebel red rye ale in my first rye beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had no problem dissolving Date Palm sugar, it's really no different than any of the other un processed sugars. I used a lot of it in my Sri Lankin Stout.

I used two cones of it, plus primed with date palm mollasses.

76465_453781254066_620469066_5475195_8172048_n.jpg

I've had no problem dissolving Date Palm sugar, it's really no different than any of the other un processed sugars. I used a lot of it in my Sri Lankin Stout.

I used two cones of it, plus primed with date palm mollasses.

76465_453781254066_620469066_5475195_8172048_n.jpg

I believe jaggery is a blend of sugarcane and coconut palm sugar, not date palm sugar.

I like that you have a sri lankin inspired stout. I made a belgian tripel inspired by asian flavors and used jaggery as my sugar adjunct along with szechuan peppercorns and coriander. Turned out pretty tasty.

the date sugar was alright, but if I were you I would go with the date molasses. Its the same thing just in syrup for instead of crystallized. No need to dissolve it if its already a liquid. I love the stuff. It reminds me a lot of the D or D2 belgian candi syrup. Similar flavor but just a tad different. After all, its liquid dates.

Coconut palm sugar is really good too. So far those 2 have been my favorites to use other than D2.

Just curious what are you generally using them in,Belgians?

Just curious what are you generally using them in,Belgians?

sure....but I also used the date molasses in an old ale and stout. Im sure it could work in a brown ale or anywhere else people like to add molasses, brown sugar, turbinado, etc...you just have to account for different color and some dark fruit flavor you may get from it.

Are you anywhere close to United Noodles? That's the best Asian market in the area, in my opinion. I don't buy sugars, but they sure seem to have everything imaginable. It'd be worth a trip, if just to browse the store! And the neighborhood is much better than the neighborhood in some of the other areas where there are Asian markets.

I believe jaggery is a blend of sugarcane and coconut palm sugar, not date palm sugar.

I like that you have a sri lankin inspired stout. I made a belgian tripel inspired by asian flavors and used jaggery as my sugar adjunct along with szechuan peppercorns and coriander. Turned out pretty tasty.

\Mine said on the ingredients that it was made from the date palm.That was the main reason I chose it.

Jaggery is made of the products of both sugarcane and the palm tree. The sugar made from the sap of the date palm is both more prized and less commonly available outside of the regions where it is made. The sago palm and coconut palm are also now tapped for producing jaggery in West Bengal, South India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. In Sri Lanka, syrup extracts from Caryota urens tree is widely used for jaggery production. This is considered as the best quality jaggery available in local market and they give it higher value than the product coming from other sources.

All types of the sugar come in blocks or pastes of solidified concentrated sugar syrup heated to 200°C. Traditionally, the syrup is made by boiling raw sugarcane juice or palm sap in a large shallow round-bottom vessel.

Machineshop is their a Meijer's around where you live? All of the Meijer's around here have a huge "international foods" aisle. They carry a wide array of interesting things. Not necessarily Jaggery, but they have things like Lyle's Golden Syrup, Chinese rock candy sugar, and even piloncillo. It's usually not as cheap as getting that stuff in an Asian market or mexican mercado, but there is some variety.

I used to buy a palm jaggery that was so dark it would replace D2 for color in a belgian strong. I used a bunch of it in a RIS I did this last year. It added some good flavors. I talked to the shop owner though and he said that that stuff is being imported less and less due to FDA inspections.

Also I asked the store owner how to tell between palm jaggery and cane jaggery. The answer I got was "only if the package says really". Which I assume they will advertise it is palm jaggery vs cane. The most recent palm jaggery I purchased was sold in a package in cube form instead of the cones.

www.sugarindia.com Has a decent listing of sugars for online.

Latest posts

Back