Excluding Malto Dextrin from BB kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't made the kit, but you are correct in your assumption. You could also bottle half of the batch, then add half of the MD to the remaining beer. Since it is an unfermentable sugar it can be added at bottling time without a problem.

Don't forget to label the bottles.

The maltodextrine also aids in head retention, they probably do it so it has a big head, which many people are used to seeing.

i threw it out, just didn't sound appealing to me.

i used the same kit, bb irish stout and it came out great. still pretty full bodied, good mouthfeel and head. if you want to compensate for the malto dextrin, you could add some more crystal malt, some lactose, or even steep some instant quaker oatmeal with the grains.

i'm trying the oatmeal next time.

Is maltodextrin new to the BB Irish Stout Kit? It wasn't in there when I brewed it back in december....Just 2 cans LME, Grains, Hops, yeast and priming sugar...

That's weired:confused:

That's strange...It's on the recipe sheet on their website as well...I'll have to look at my december sheet when I get home...I wonder if they decreased some of the grain and are making it up with an adjunct...

I usually save any MD I get to use in cider's or meads if I'm worried that the yeast will burn through all my fermentables and leave it to dry...

Back