Excessive Foam during Fermintation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizman460

Reaction score
I have brewed a Belgian Ale it included 3/4 lb belgian candy sugar. Now, the fermintation process I have excessive amount of foam in the fermination bottle. Should I move the beer to a secondary fermintation bottle? Any suggestions would be great. FYI, my beer is almost at the correct FG 1.014 it is at 1.02

Thanks

It's not foam, it's krausen. DOn't move it or anything...in fact we rarely use secondaries any more, and opt for month long primaires instead. Just clean it up and install a blowoff tube, and relax.

The best way to stall your fermentation is to move it BEFORE it's done fermenting...why take it off the yeast to best do the job of finishing the beer?

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine. ;)

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just leave it. There isn't much need for a secondary. You'd be better off to keep it in the primary until it's ready to bottle.

So, when it gets to the point where the FG does not move then I know the fermintation process is done and the yeast have done all they can do.

So, when it gets to the point where the FG does not move then I know the fermintation process is done and the yeast have done all they can do.

Fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leaving our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

Read this.

Riz - Is this the Belgian Ale from True Brew? I had a large amount of krausen with that and it blew my airlock off. I let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks, then racked it to the secondary for another 2 weeks (needed the primary bucket for brew #2). Just bottled it yesterday and the FG was 1.018 (it had been at that for several days)

GeoGirl,

No it is not the Belgian Ale from True Brew. It is a clone I worked up of La Chouffe, one of my favorites. Was hoping not to wait 4 weeks.

3/4 lb Belgian Candy Sugar
1/2 oz Dried orange peel (bitter type)
1/2 oz coriander (spice)

4 weeks may be the optimal time to leave a beer on yeast but lets be real here, if you're just brewing to drink at home and your out of homebrew 2 weeks is generally a perfectly acceptable amount of time to leave the beer on the yeast cake. If you bottle, well unfortunately your going to have to wait. If you keg...you could technically be drinking a perfectly acceptable beer in 2.5 - 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back