Excess Yeast In Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcanada

Reaction score
So I made and bottled a Bell's Two-Hearted clone. I went to check on the bottles today (today is Feb. 19, was bottled on Feb. 13, have been sitting at room temp) and when flipping the bottle upside down, a massive amount of yeast starting flowing around, including whole chunks at least the size of a dime. Large dark swirls immediately took over and it seemed like an abnormal amount. This was the case for a majority of my bottles.

I wanted to see if this was normal, and if not, what I should do differently next time? In an attempt to get as much beer from my primary fermenter, I may have allowed too much yeast to make it into the bottles... (would that have an effect?)

Naturally bottled/carbonated beer will have yeast sediment at the bottom. Once they sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks, though, the sediment will compact. When pouring, leave the last inch in the bottle along with the dregs.

Naturally bottled/carbonated beer will have yeast sediment at the bottom. Once they sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks, though, the sediment will compact. When pouring, leave the last inch in the bottle along with the dregs.

Thanks for the reply! To follow that up, how long to you suggest keeping in the fridge/storing until drinking? My little "how-to" book suggests 2 weeks before drinking, but I keep reading that IPAs should be drank sooner than later so the hop flavors don't die off. Is there a perfect number to wait once bottled?

Thanks for the reply! To follow that up, how long to you suggest keeping in the fridge/storing until drinking? My little "how-to" book suggests 2 weeks before drinking, but I keep reading that IPAs should be drank sooner than later so the hop flavors don't die off. Is there a perfect number to wait once bottled?

I agree hop forward beers are best drank fresh. I usually crack one open at 2 weeks to check the carbonation, if its good then a couple 6 packs go into the fridge :)

Back