Excess phenols in Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JitsuDan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a Hefeweizen just over three weeks ago. The day went pretty well but I had higher efficiency than I expected and ended up with an OG of 1.060 instead of the 1.054 that the recipe stated.

I pitched a smack pack of Wyeast 3068 (no starter, as I read it's better to underpitch these) in the low 60's and gradually let the temperature rise over the next few days. I then bottled it after 14 days as the SG had been constant for three days (although higher than I would have liked at 1.015).

I have tried a few samples at various stages so far and one thing that has remained constant is a strong smoky taste and smell. I've read that a slight smoky taste is normal for this style but I just found it a bit overwhelming.

I went to Munich in April and don't really remember noticing a smoky taste in any of the Weissbiers that I tasted (and I tried a lot!).

I know it's early yet but is this likely to dissipate over time? Will it have been caused by the higher than expected OG?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think a smoke phenol is typical from that strain. More commonly, brett can throw a pretty big smoke / peat-like phenolic (try some Fantome beers to see what I'm saying). It sounds like the yeast was pretty stressed, so it might have thrown some pretty funky flavors.

3068 is straight clove phenols at low fermentation temps and banana esters at higher fermentation temps.

Clove could possibly be interpreted as a bit smokey/resin-y. Is that what you are tasting?

Maybe, I haven't used this yeast before and it's the first time I've brewed a wheat beer.

I'll try the same recipe again next month but without the water bath for fermentation.

Most commercial examples of Hefes will go for the banana ester character. I use 3068 in all of my Hefes, and ferment it at about 68F ambient temp to get a nice banana character from the yeast.

Most commercial examples of Hefes will go for the banana ester character. I use 3068 in all of my Hefes, and ferment it at about 68F ambient temp to get a nice banana character from the yeast.

Ditto this for me. I just tapped a keg of Hefeweizen that used Wyeast 3068 and it has crazy banana smell and flavor. Ambient for me was 65-66 but the fermenter was a few degrees warmer. I can smell/taste the clove also, but the banana is definitely at the forefront.

I think it might have been down to the water I used. This is the first batch I've made since we moved here. I think the water may have chloramine in it.

Will try bottled water next time.

Weissbier yeast strains synthesize many different phenolic compounds, it's just that 4VG is the most prominent and characteristic of the style, but they all contribute to the depth of flavor.

http://www.uclouvain.be/cps/ucl/doc/inbr/documents/Callemien_2008_ChairJDeClerck.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ga...a=X&ei=5C2lUf7qForkrQHey4GoCA&ved=0CE4Q6AEwCA

Some described as smoky:
4-Ethyl guaiacol
4-Vinyl syringol
4-Ethyl syringol
4-Methyl syringol
4-Propyl syringol
4-Allyl syringol
4-Propenyl syringol

What was your recipe? There can be an issue if you used a high proportion of wheat malt without a protein rest or any decoctions. This can result in too few amino acids in the wort, which can also stress the yeast.

Hi,

I used a 50/50 mixture of wheat and pilsner malt, with hallertau mittelfruh hops.

60 min mash and boil BIAB

Back