Exceeding Yeast Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Munich Lager out in the garage right now in a controlled warm box. Within 6 weeks I'm going to be seeing day time temperatures towards 60F and within 8 weeks 70+F. By that time it'll be out of the primary and into the secondary.
I've used the Wyeast 2308 which has a temp range of 48-56F. What will be the affects on the beer in the secondary as the temps climb towards 70F?

I dont think it will be a problem, with 308 yeast I usualy elevate the temperature for the last 1/3 of fementation.
Question is: will you have cold place to properly lager the beer? This is more important issue.

I dont think it will be a problem, with 308 yeast I usualy elevate the temperature for the last 1/3 of fementation.
Question is: will you have cold place to properly lager the beer? This is more important issue.

I suppose that is really my question. I can keep the temp in range for the primary fermentation its when its in the secondary that I may have to deal with it climbing above 60F. What happens since my yeast temp range is 48-56F?

I suppose that is really my question. I can keep the temp in range for the primary fermentation its when its in the secondary that I may have to deal with it climbing above 60F. What happens since my yeast temp range is 48-56F?

I think the thing you call "secondary" I call "lagering", and it should be close to 32F. But I don't know what happens it it is higher - I've never tried it, but I suppose beer will be OK. Not perfect, but OK.

Back