Exact Definitions of the beer categories

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
Is there a thread or a website that outlines The exact specifications of all the diffrent types of beers? What i am looking for is information that states: "If your beer is _____ in color and has _____ % alcohol it is classified as_______" ETC.

The only reason why i bring this up is because i was brewing, aiming for a porter. My friends like it and had asked me what it was. Since i was aiming for a porter, i told them that, however i got to thinking, maybe its a stout. I would like to provide accurate information to those who ask, as well as posess the knowledge for myself. So, if anyone knows where i can find info on this, i would appreciate it.

This place (HBT) is amazing!!! So quick to get answers!! Thanks guys! And DeathBrewer i know there isnt a big diffrence between a Porter and a Stout, but i would like to understand the small diffrences all the same. Thanks for the links!!

Cheers

Knowing the small differences can be useful if you want to enter competitions. I know several people that brewed X, then won in style Y.

You can get a lot of good information on the differences between the styles from reading Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers, as well as listening to Jamil Z's podcasts on the Brewing Network. Daniels' book is fairly advanced, but is absolutely one of the best sources of information available.

Back