Everyone loves pictures! This and last weekends fun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
I took pictures this week and last week of everything I've done, and I figured everyone loves looking at pictures, so I'd share.

I'll start at the end, then the beginning
452252198_7c5cc17d17.jpg

This is what I have sitting in a closet, 1 week old stout in the secondary, and fresh not even 24 hour old pilsner in the primary.

452251230_caf2413fc5.jpg

everything sanitized and ready to go

452251494_8331608985.jpg

Ready to transfer into the primary carboy

452251536_b745a86de3.jpg

rehydrating the dried yeast

452267701_eff76dc6e1.jpg

I think I am in love

452267809_fcfb21accf.jpg

About halfway with the siphon

452251836_6a544b1843.jpg

My buddy drops in the beasty yeasties

452251874_7312842694.jpg

And we're done!

Onto the pilsner.....less pics, but just as fun!

452251920_2b330a2908.jpg

Cleaned just over a case of Sam Adam bottles while I was sanitizing, and waiting for the girlfriend to come over

452251958_3156ee3e4c.jpg

Used this yeast with my Munton's kit instead of the dried yeast

452252056_56701f7f14.jpg

Got the pic off to late, but my dog was sniffing the carboy...she knew what was up!

452252112_00c9c40a42.jpg

SWMBO pitching the yeast

452252198_7c5cc17d17.jpg

And this is what I know have in a closet. I didn't take any pictures of transferring to the secondary, but you get the idea.

I dunno, I like the no boil kits, but I think I may be ready to step it up a notch, will decide over the next week or so.
.:mug:

Thanks for sharing those great pix.
You may want to consider pitching your yeast in the carbouy prior to adding the wort.
Aearation, Aeration, Aeration.

Glibbidy said:
You may want to consider pitching your yeast in the carbouy prior to adding the wort.

Thanks, I didn't pitch the yeast until after transferring into the carboy, since that is what the directions said from the LBHS, but I'll try that next time

awesome! does the SWMBO ever get jealous of the hugs that your beer gets? (see above pic) enjoy the fruits of your labor!

San Jose State University said:
Great pictures! Looks like you're having the time of your life!

thanks, and yes, I/we are having so much fun, it's been great. I think I may have gotten a buddy hooked on the idea, he was impressed with the basic setup

razyrsharpe said:
awesome! does the SWMBO ever get jealous of the hugs that your beer gets? (see above pic) enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I only hugged the beer once, and the SWMBO does not get jealous, she is just as excited about it as I. I catch her looking at the brews a lot!

since beers take so long to brew, bringing back threads from the dead is great. Here is some update pictures:

My dog smelling the Amstel Light Clone and asking nicely for a taste, and gets one (Amstel is her favorite kind of beer)

492407256_ad73da313d.jpg

I am so impressed with this side by side comparison of my Amstel Clones. One week difference in time, but the left carboy is so much clearer

492426779_59a6e2f619.jpg

Second Round Draft Pick Pilsner
492426695_4e41f9ae96.jpg

Fool's Stout
492422419_417aa3265e.jpg

So are you topping off to fill the carboys up that much?

I'd focus more on hitting your intened OG than on the volume.

Moonpile said:
So are you topping off to fill the carboys up that much?

I'd focus more on hitting your intened OG than on the volume.

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying...can you elaborate a little more? I'm not topping them off in the secondary, I just make sure I add enough water to the primary so I'm not sucking up lots of trub in the transferring process.

gonzo_911 said:
Those are pretty nice looking wood floors. You do that yourself?

Thank you. They are about 14 years old...I really need to super scrub them or something, I feel they need it. Plus I spilled a little bit of beer on it, and I just feel like super cleaning them all, but have no idea what to use.

98EXL said:
I'm not quite understanding what you are saying...can you elaborate a little more? I'm not topping them off in the secondary, I just make sure I add enough water to the primary so I'm not sucking up lots of trub in the transferring process.

Now I'm not sure I'm understanding you!

I did think you meant that you were topping up in the primary. How does filling it up avoid sucking up trub? Just hold the racking cane up off the yeast.

I tend to focus more on hitting an intended OG than on getting the most volume of beer.

Also I think you'll eventually have a blowoff problem filling them up that way.

I use a 6.5 gal carboy for primary and it's usually filled with 5 to 5.5 gal and I've had blowoff even with that much headspace (though only once that I can recall and that was 10 years ago). A recent Weizen we did got close to blowing off.

Cheers! :mug:

Moon

Moonpile said:
Now I'm not sure I'm understanding you!

I did think you meant that you were topping up in the primary. How does filling it up avoid sucking up trub? Just hold the racking cane up off the yeast.

I tend to focus more on hitting an intended OG than on getting the most volume of beer.

Also I think you'll eventually have a blowoff problem filling them up that way.

I use a 6.5 gal carboy for primary and it's usually filled with 5 to 5.5 gal and I've had blowoff even with that much headspace (though only once that I can recall and that was 10 years ago). A recent Weizen we did got close to blowing off.

Cheers! :mug:

Moon

no no no, I don't top it off in the primary, that would be silly. I only top it off in the secondary. I don't have a lot of trub getting sucked up...I just don't like the idea of tilting the carboy to get all of the liquid out, so I just add more water initally to give just a little bit of a buffer.

I too fill the 6.5 gallon carboy with somewhere between 5-5.5 gallons...I'm still waiting for a blowoff with 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy....we'll see whenever that happens.

Either way, this is one of my favorite hobbies to date!

Glibbidy said:
I prefer to shake the carboy for about ten minutes full and then pitch the yeast at the end. I have never had to wait longer than 12 hours for intense fermentation.

Posted today at 8:37am EST

I'm not topping them off in the secondary, I just make sure I add enough water to the primary

Posted today at 11:04am EST

no no no, I don't top it off in the primary, that would be silly. I only top it off in the secondary.
Am I reading this right? It may be a small contradiction in terms....

lgtg said:
Posted today at 8:37am EST

I'm not topping them off in the secondary, I just make sure I add enough water to the primary

Posted today at 11:04am EST

no no no, I don't top it off in the primary, that would be silly. I only top it off in the secondary.
Am I reading this right? It may be a small contradiction in terms....

I need to think before I type just like needing to think before I speak. When I fill my primary, I make sure that it is at least at the 5 gallon mark, but I prefer it to be at the 5.5 gallon mark. Then when I rack into the secondary, I fill it all the way up, about an inch below the stopper thus 'topping it off'

The only time I add anything to the beer after the yeast has been pitched is my priming sugar/water.

Make more sense now?

98EXL said:
no no no, I don't top it off in the primary, that would be silly. I only top it off in the secondary. I don't have a lot of trub getting sucked up...I just don't like the idea of tilting the carboy to get all of the liquid out, so I just add more water initally to give just a little bit of a buffer.

I too fill the 6.5 gallon carboy with somewhere between 5-5.5 gallons...I'm still waiting for a blowoff with 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy....we'll see whenever that happens.

Either way, this is one of my favorite hobbies to date!

Ok, well I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding your process. I'm not trying to criticize you, just understand what you're doing and why.

As for me and my buddies it goes something like this:

We boil a concentrate of about 3 gal ('cause we need a larger kettle!)

Then we whirlpool that while chilling in icewater.

When it gets down to about 75 deg we siphon off the wort into the bottling bucket, via a strainer funnel and nylon grain bag to remove as much hops (and whatever break we're getting from extract) as possible.

We take a gravity reading on the concentrate and calculate how much to add to hit our target gravity. We add the required water at this time and then check the gravity again.

Then we put the bottling bucket up above the primary fermenter (either a 6.5 or a bucket, depending on what's busy) and open the spigot. If we're using the 6.5 we run it through the strainer funnel again. This causes a lot of aeration, and we haven't bothered shaking or stirring or anything else.

Pitch yeast (if we're not reusing a cake). Wait.

After any substantial fermentation has taken place I wouldn't add water to the beer. In my thinking is that there might be dissovled O2. The exception is the water for dissolving the priming DME in, which gets boiled, thereby removing O2 from solution.

As for tilting the carboy while siphoning, I remember when I was brewing by myself 10 years ago that being fairly precarious since the carboy's going to be up high (above the destination vessel). With three people it's not a prob at all. I've seen some carboy wedges that might help you (although a cut up piece of 2x4 would prolly do the trick just fine).

that's exactly what I do, but I don't ever have a 'target gravity' from the kits I'm using. That's why when I do my ~3 gallon concentrate boil, I add to 5 gallons when I'm done, and take my first SG reading. Usually they are around 1.036-1.046.

I'm pissed though, the batch I did yesterday has no visible signs of fermentation yet...I hope tomorrow I see something going on.

I'll have to look into these cake things

As for the cake thing, we're just reusing the WLP300 by putting new wort on the old yeast cake. We did a regular hefeweizen, a weizenbock and now a dunkelweizen. I think we'll probably call it quits there and move on to another style.

We saved a few bucks and essentially had a big starter going after the initial batch.

It's the first time I've done that, but we'll do it again.

Back