Every time I think I'm done being a Noob...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
..something comes up.

I've got a batch of porter that's been stuck a about 1028 for three weeks now. Here's the recipe:

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 33.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.52 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 13.67 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 10.25 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.84 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.84 %
2.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.89 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 18.29 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.32 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

I actually started with a 1 liter starter and then repitched a pack of SA-04 after the first week but I'm still still stuck around the 1028-ish mark. Any guesses?

With so many specialty grains including crystal, and a very high mash temp, I'm not surprised it stopped at 1.028. I have an oatmeal stout that uses a similar grainbill, and even mashing at a lower temperature, it doesn't finish below 1.020. 2 ounces of MD isn't going to much of a cause of a high FG, but it probably contributes a bit, too, to the unfermentables.

Thanks Yoop, I'm actually happy with that. It tastes great as it is. I was just worried about bottle bombs. I'll go ahead and bottle tomorrow.

Thanks Yoop, I'm actually happy with that. It tastes great as it is. I was just worried about bottle bombs. I'll go ahead and bottle tomorrow.

I understand the concern. I was also thinking that if you haven't calibrated your thermometer lately, you may want to check it. If your efficiency was only 62%, you may have been mashing higher than 158 even. Anything over 160 would denature the enzymes somewhat, plus cause a much more dextrinous wort. Is that possible?

I'm using a cheap, Target model, digital thermometer that can't be calibrated. I do check it against ambient from time to time and it's at least close. Not that I couldn't have been off by a few degrees though.

62% efficiency is what I tend to get brew after brew. I think my LBHS's mill is my limiting factor for that.

I'm using a cheap, Target model, digital thermometer that can't be calibrated. I do check it against ambient from time to time and it's at least close. Not that I couldn't have been off by a few degrees though.

62% efficiency is what I tend to get brew after brew. I think my LBHS's mill is my limiting factor for that.

Ah, then it is consistent at least!

I'd really consider checking the thermometer at boiling or mash temps. If you mashed even 2 degrees higher than you think, or worse, 4 degrees higher, you may have an issue. Now, if you're mashing at 152 and it turns out it's 155, that's not a big deal. But the difference in a mash between 158 and 161 is huge!

Back