Ever Seen Clear Malt Extract???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you ever seen clear malt extract? Clear as water.

A friend of mine sent me this in an email.

I recently acquired a bucket of malt extract from a friend who had it for 2 years. It came from Cargill marked Happy brewing. It's 11lbs and I thought of boiling into a batch of beer. When I opened the seal on the bucket, it was clear as water. Any thoughts? I started scratching my head when I saw the color.​

Thanks for your help!

:mug:

My LHBS sells something clear called Maltose Syrup that is clear and extremely thick. I thought it was just corn syrup until I read 'maltose' on the label.

bradsul said:
My LHBS sells something clear called Maltose Syrup that is clear and extremely thick. I thought it was just corn syrup until I read 'maltose' on the label.
It is corn syrup.
Maltose Syrup is a kind of organic syrup made from high quality corn starch with maltose as main content by double enzyme technique.
Sort of.
It can also contain rice.

http://www.maltosesyrup.com/maltose-syrup.html

I guess you could use it with pale LME or DME to make BMC

Either way I'd never buy it. I watch him dump it into the lagers for his BOP customers though, just to bump up the ABV. They only make kit&kilo stuff in house, they're primarily a wine shop. It's disturbing when he gets shipments in and they have 20-30 sacks of dextrose. :drunk:

Gents - Thanks for the replys! :mug:

My friend will have to email me back and possibly check w/ his source.

I'm guessing this might work as a adjunct. Using something less than 20% of the fermentables in a pale ale or blonde style brew.

Back