Ever need a blowoff tube for a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
Couldn't get the wort below 74 cuz it was such a hot day. Also pitched onto a warmish, largish yeast cake. I'm trying to get the sucker
Down to temp!!

image-3177690728.jpg

image-1081629233.jpg

image-840700225.jpg

image-108279447.jpg

Wow. That is hot.
What are you doing to get the temp down? Call it "extreme steam."
:p
It can be very difficult to get the temp to drop once fermentation is underway. Myself, I'd take my chances with leaving the wort unaerated and unpitched until it came down. Hope it's at least drinkable. Let us know.

I'm going to make a guess that a good chunk of the fermentation was already done before you could get it down to a reasonable lager fermenting temp. But I'm sure it'll still be drinkable beer, let us know how it turns out.

I'll be making a lager tomorrow. It's hot here in St. Louis so I already know that I won't be able to get it cooler than 80 with just my immersion chiller so I am planning for an ice bath as well. I'm guessing it'll take me at least an hour to get it to pitching temps but I think that is better than pitching warm and then putting in my lager fridge.

I miss the winter when I could cool a batch down in 20 minutes...

PS if all goes well I doubt I'll need a blowoff.

Good luck with your brew!

Definitely going to have some esters starting that warm. What yeast did you use? Some are more temp tolerant

I'm not sure if that yeast compares at all to Wyeast 2124 bohemian lager but I've heard reports that it can make a nice clean beer in the high 60's so maybe you're not too far off? I have a beer I made with it (the 2124) that I'm conditioning at the moment, fermented at 66.

bwomp313 said:
I'm not sure if that yeast compares at all to Wyeast 2124 bohemian lager but I've heard reports that it can make a nice clean beer in the high 60's so maybe you're not too far off? I have a beer I made with it (the 2124) that I'm conditioning at the moment, fermented at 66.

That yeast will give you honey and apple flavors at 66. Its good, but not very lager like

Back