Ever need a blowoff tube for a 6 gallon bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completenewbie

Reaction score
Only 7 brews in, but even the most vigorous fermentation hasn't got close to filling the headspace in my brewing bucket.

About to try a AHS cascadian dark kit, adding 2 alcohol boost packs, yeast fuel, then pitching 2 packs of US-05 -- will I need to swap out to a blowoff setup, or are issues more commonly found brewing bigger beers in carboys rather than buckets?

Someday you will wish you had/used a blow-off. It may be when you push the limits and fill the bucket up higher than normal, it maybe when you try a Belgian with a decent yeast, it may be when the temperature run away from you, it may be when you get lazy and decide to dump the brew on a whole yeast cake. When-ever it happens it will be when you least expect it, and will make a mess.

After 2nd brew that got to the top of the neck in my BB, I now always fit a blow off. I have read of washing the ceiling.... I don't want to do that so....

I have a few with minor blow off. As a safety measure I awlays start with a blowoff tube. Much easier than mopping the ceiling.

Yes, the third brew that I ever did was a RIS. It I had to put a blow off on the bucket and tie it with string so it would not blow off the top.

Back