Ever have a hurricane/ tropical storm on you radar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Orlando for 10 years. Four years ago we decided to move back to Toronto. I started work here the first week of September 2004. I left my wife in what was to be the first of 4 hurricanes that would hit while our house was up for sale. After every storm I would have to go back on the weekend to arrange for contractors to fix the roof or pool screen or remove a fallen tree. She was a real trooper to stay there alone. Fortunately for us, with so many houses damaged homes and an excess demand for undamaged ones, our price shot up about 20% in 6 weeks.

I am sure you will weather the storm OK.

Paul

I lived in Orlando for 10 years. Four years ago we decided to move back to Toronto. I started work here the first week of September 2004. I left my wife in what was to be the first of 4 hurricanes that would hit while our house was up for sale. After every storm I would have to go back on the weekend to arrange for contractors to fix the roof or pool screen or remove a fallen tree. She was a real trooper to stay there alone. Fortunately for us, with so many houses damaged homes and an excess demand for undamaged ones, our price shot up about 20% in 6 weeks.

I am sure you will weather the storm OK.

Paul

I moved down here the day Charlie hit

Except for the storms and the heat in the summer, it is a great place to live. I miss fishing on the flats, walking on Sanibel beach and skin diving in the Keys during lobster mini season. (Must have been last week?)

Paul

you gotta stay aware. I lived in Sarasota for about 20 yrs. It seems like storms will either pass right by, or level you.

Prepare for the worst, especially get some cash on you. ATM s don't work with no power.

Luck.

Luckily we've only gotten some good rain out of the storms that have come our way....hang in there!

HAHA! I arrived the day after :) The weather was still far from good but at least they allowed me to drive again. Happily chased storms ever since. At least it won't be as bad in my corner as in yours.

THis whole tropical storm thing has me pretty irritated. First Crist calls a state of emergency while the thing is 4 days away. Grandstanding maybe? He certainly motivated a great man of people to wipe out the can goods, batteries, and bottled water sections at every wal-mart. Seriously, if it less than a Cat 2 then it aint worth getting out of bed.
I did pull the loose items out of my yard but thats about it. I'd be going to work too if the schools weren't closed. But seriously, it is only going to amount to a nasty, windy, wet day. Sounds like any other day in Florida to be honest ;)

I think the weather guys are blowing this out of porportion, they haven't had much to talk about like they predicted.

THis whole tropical storm thing has me pretty irritated. First Crist calls a state of emergency while the thing is 4 days away. Grandstanding maybe? He certainly motivated a great man of people to wipe out the can goods, batteries, and bottled water sections at every wal-mart. Seriously, if it less than a Cat 2 then it aint worth getting out of bed.
I did pull the loose items out of my yard but thats about it. I'd be going to work too if the schools weren't closed. But seriously, it is only going to amount to a nasty, windy, wet day. Sounds like any other day in Florida to be honest ;)

I think the weather guys are blowing this out of porportion, they haven't had much to talk about like they predicted.

The local guys are only watching for tornadoes, but are saying this will be a rain event. 6-8 inches should help to fill Lake O

I lived in Florida the first 29 years of my life... been through a bunch of them. Stay safe out there.

Things have changed since then :(
I justed headed to work over the Eau GAllie causeway ... have another 1.5h to work then back home. Hopefully they don't close the roads back to the beach before I am done. Will keg a nice Honey Blonde as soon as I get home :ban:

I actually like storms very much. Keep in mind I don't want them to hurt anyone or destroy peoples homes.

I spent 7 years in Orlando. After I lived in Oregon, and before I lived in Kentucky.

Things have changed since then :(
I justed headed to work over the Eau GAllie causeway ... have another 1.5h to work then back home. Hopefully they don't close the roads back to the beach before I am done. Will keg a nice Honey Blonde as soon as I get home :ban:

I think you ought to be okay. You are probably home by now any ways ;)

The only time I was near a hurricane, I was about 300 feet under it. The sub's radar didn't work under water, but we could still feel the waves.

Have fun. Been through 30 years of em. Keep your head down and enjoy a few beers in case the keggerator goes down ;)

Sounds Like a great idea, lets just wait till AFTER the storm gets worse, and destroys lots of property, and popssibly hurts someone.

It is all a knee jerk reaction to prevent another Louisiana, fiasco.
Leaders are now being very proactive in thier response, instead of sitting on it and waiting, hoping for the best.
I know all the military Units both Air Guard and Army Guard were put on notice to be prepared for Hurricane damage and Humanitarian operations.
I would MUCH rather be prepared and not need something, than not prepared and have the storm destroy my house, neighborhood, City, or State.
Just my .02 though.

Sounds Like a great idea, lets just wait till AFTER the storm gets worse, and destroys lots of property, and popssibly hurts someone.

I dont know how long you've been around Florida to experience these things. Ill admit I am a bit Jaded to only because I've dealt with them the past 30 years. A tropical storm off in the bahamas is nothing to bite your nails over. Believe me, if they look to be a Cat 1 the ply wood goes up, Cat 3 we go inland a bit to my parents. But all the Hub bub over this storm is BS.
If you are in the area where the storm is going to make landfall get some supplies in order, you may be out of power for a little bit.

That and Declaring a state of emergency doesnt change what is going to happen.

Oh well, Im just enjoying the thunderstorm while drinking some apfelwein.

If you are in the area where the storm is going to make landfall get some supplies in order, you may be out of power for a little bit.

ABSOLUTELY, can never be too prepared.

That and Declaring a state of emergency doesnt change what is going to happen.

Correct, the main advantage when that happens, is to activate the National / Air Guard for possible operations following the storm. Also, activates other facets of the local towns/cities for possible contingencies and operations.

Oh well, Im just enjoying the thunderstorm while drinking some apfelwein.

Maybe next time I can get out of work, and come join you, I only have beer though. Infact, I usually travel out that way at least once a month to Titusville, to visit relatives, and to help my FIL with some beer brewing.
Is the brewery/supply place still open there in Melbourne?

Might be time to organize a brew day, party in Orlando at Chris Dog's house, what do you say Chris, Hurricane party at your house?

Is the brewery/supply place still open there in Melbourne?
Florida Beer Co. (used to be Indian River Brewing Co.) is still there. Seems like they are doing better than ever; however, they stopped selling supplies a while back.

As far as the State of Emergency goes ... it's just to have money and help available when needed. I def understand why and I think it's over all a good thing.

Fay is still pounding (I live less than 600ft away from the beach) and I think the worst is about to come here in a few hours. Just had a tornado a few miles away from here that ripped 50 trailers apart. Hopefully everything goes well :drunk:

Yeah, Florida Brewing Co gave up on home brew supplies. You can get some stuff at Downtown Produce but it is pretty limited and stuff sits on a shelf for a LONG time.

When is the next brew day Chris Dog? :D

Open mouth insert foot.

I cant believe the amount of rain we are getting. We got 24" of rain just a couple of miles away. I know locally we are at about 10" into this with plenty left to go. Many of the roads are flooded. Fortunately our house is pretty high up and the road is still dry. Going to take a couple of days for this mess to drain.

Open mouth insert foot.

I cant believe the amount of rain we are getting. We got 24" of rain just a couple of miles away. I know locally we are at about 10" into this with plenty left to go. Many of the roads are flooded. Fortunately our house is pretty high up and the road is still dry. Going to take a couple of days for this mess to drain.

Sorry to hear.
I started this thread and I ended up with maybe 2" and one broken Palm tree. You never know with these things, just a slight change in direction or speed can make a big difference

If I could reach through this computer and choke you..........
Hardly anything like Katrina. For starters I was smart enough to move somewhere ABOVE sea level ;)

Sorry... I was answering the question "ever have a hurricane/tropical storm on your radar". I did. It was Katrina.

Glad to know it was only rain, hopefully no rain damage.
We didnt even get a good rain here, just on and off.
Sp today I brewed a "Hurrucane Rye Pale Ale" and it is bubbling away right now.
:mug:

Open mouth insert foot.

ATT00264.jpg

Well I am stuck here at my hospital for at least the next 4 nights. We are 100 miles inland from where this bad boy is going to make landfall.

Well I am stuck here at my hospital for at least the next 4 nights. We are 100 miles inland from where this bad boy is going to make landfall.

Not sure if you are at Baynard Jones hospital at Ft. Polk,
but my Unit left this morning to move patients from LA to another location, not sure where.

Back