ever have a batch taste like soap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
I just popped a keg of my Red ale, and it just doesn't taste right. the best I can describe it is Soap. I'm tempted to dump it

anyone had this happen ?

Yeh, I think I had used citra as well but it the water not the hops that are to blame.

Try gypsum next time.

It will get less soapy as the hops start to drop out.

Don't dump it. Store it as cold as you can without freezing. It will improve ad the hop polyphenols drop out of solution.

Yeh, I think I had used citra as well but it the water not the hops that are to blame.

Try gypsum next time.

It will get less soapy as the hops start to drop out.

Don't dump it. Store it as cold as you can without freezing. It will improve ad the hop polyphenols drop out of solution.

I changed my technique this time. I fermented for 2 weeks. cold crashed in the primary, then added 2 oz of pellets in a nylon stocking to the primary for 2 weeks then kegged the 10 gallons. its been aging for about 60 days in the cooler. not that much hop flavor on top though.

Normally I add 1 oz pellets to a nylon stocking and dry hop in the keg. I get lots of hoppy goodness that way

I am tempted to add 1 oz in a stocking like I normally do, and see if the hops will fix it.

Back