Ever get sick of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forstmeister

Reaction score
I mean truly tired of it? I have spent the past 10 years or so chasing beer. I have spent all of my energy, time, and money putting notches on my figurative bedpost. I have brewed a ton of beer and drank way too much probably. My best estimate is that I have drank at least 600-800 unique beers in my life.

So here I am, almost 35 years old, slightly overweight, wondering what the hell it's all about...Some days the thought of another beer is just awful.

I can't be the only one who needs some time off to evaluate just how much I still love beer, can I? :confused:

Sometimes I feel that way. I don't drink that much, but sometimes I just want something plain, like water.

Take a break for a few days and let your taste recover. It will make the next beer taste that much better.

Just like Hayseed Dixie says in their Tolerance song.

I hear what you're saying, but no. Then again I'm only 23 and have a lot more brewing ahead of me.

My biggest issue is my picky tastes now. If I've heard of it and tasted it before, I'm likely to order something else. Maybe just searching for that "favorite beer". Especially sucks when I go to a local place and the best thing on tap is a yeungling. Good beer, just not going to fulfill that desire.

never sick of beer after 20+ years. that said, i never drink anything else, besides water and the occasional shot of bourbon.

I think its just palate fatigue. Ive only drank two beers in the last 4 weeks. I might drink one this weekend. But probably not. Im just on a bit of a hiatus myself

I think all hobbies are like that for example I have many hobbies from gardening,breeding Rottweilers,keeping chickens
wine and beer making and keeping saltwater fish tanks I know I had over 20 Grand in my tanks I went from a huge
lover of exotic fish and corals to just not wanting to do it another day what was once a great joy had turned into a burden,
so I decided to back away sell off all the huge tanks keep one and try to begin to enjoy the hobby again. let me tell ya its like
a huge wait was lifter off my shoulders. I think sometimes the things we own end up owning us. for me the best thing to do was
take a break...

Get sick of beer? Sometimes, only when it stops working.

Corb Lund
Time To Switch To Whiskey lyrics

Well I like a full bodied lager as much as the next hard working man
The taste of suds while dealing stud I can surely understand
Trucker speed and yes indeed it's nearly gettin' light
It's time to switch to whiskey we been drinkin' beer all night

You can fish for bass and cut your grass and drink that purple gas
Sho' nuff, but the powerful stuff that'll knock you on your ass
Is like diesel fuel, and nobody's fool is gonna wanna get left behind
It's time to switch to whiskey we been drinkin' beer all night

CHORUS:
Well it's time to switch to whiskey we been drinkin' beer all night
We're all half dead and them that's left are spoilin' for a fight
Who'd 'a thunk, we're quit drinkin' drunk, now boys don't spare the rye
It's time to switch to whiskey, we been drinkin beer all night

I've been splittin' eights and hittin' my straights in the cardrooms of the world
Chasin' skirt and gettin' hurt but now I got a card playin' girl
But man she gets excited when the deal don't come out right
It's time to switch to whiskey we been drinking beer all night

CHORUS

Well I've heard it said that you can get some heat in Irish pubs
Servin' Jamesons to an Orangeman and Bushmills to his cuz
Well here's what you do with Tullamore Dew, you can meet 'em both halfway
It's time to switch to whiskey they've been drinkin' beer all day

CHORUS

...rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cried...

I think its just palate fatigue. Ive only drank two beers in the last 4 weeks. I might drink one this weekend. But probably not. Im just on a bit of a hiatus myself

I hope so. I have a bit of money invested in this brewing habit, and my friends and schedule kind of revolve around beer and brewing. I may have simply over-extended myself and got tired of feeling one-dimensional. Friends and family associate me with beer, and I hate the thought of being labeled as an alcoholic since there is a long family history of it on both sides.

Either way, a hiatus is where I am at. But I have multiple plans tonight and tomorrow night (previously arranged) that both involve being at a bar. Oh well, I guess I will see how strong my resolve is tonight...

Sometimes I feel that way. I don't drink a lot but I spend a lot of time reading about beer/brewing, brewing, writing about beer/brewing, thinking about beer/brewing. On occasion I feel like it's too much and I just go think about or do something else. I might enjoy liquor or wine for a couple weeks and come back fresh and excited to try something new or brew.

A few years back (almost 3) I took a trip to New Orleans to see the this years (2012-2013) Super Bowl champs, The Patriots play the Saints. I smoked so many friggin butts and drank way to much of everything, (mostly Huge Ass Beers To Go), that by the end of the 3 day trip I felt ill. Since then I have not touched a cigarette (I had smoked close to 20 years)...

So, I guess drinking too much and getting sick of beer, also made me sick of cigarettes.

There have been periods when I don't brew or drink much beer. I'm in one of those right now, haven't had a beer in almost two weeks. But I'm bottling my blackberry cordial today, switching off can be a great work-around.

I'm getting to that point, i keep saying im going to take a month or 2 break but it never happens

Agree with most on here, give yourself a break and find a new hobby. While I try to brew 2-4 times a month to keep my taps full and constantly on HBT and designing new recipes. I also have many other hobbies to distract me from brewing (some end up being brewing related). I love to program and tinker so I work with android and make apps. Started working with microprocessors and working on a control system for my brewing (but also making other little gadgets) But my biggest secondary hobby is cooking. Ive been cooking since I was 7 (probably why I love brewing so much) and try to invite friends over every weekend to cook some new recipe and hang out. If you are tired of beer, find a new hobby to take a break for awhile and then just let it come back naturally. Havent had to do it with brewing yet, but I often take 4-6 month breaks from programming (gets too tedious and time consuming) and then just one day open up my editor and start working again. Keep believing and youll enjoy beer again

I know how you feel. I never got sick of beer but i don't drink it all year long. mostly in the summer. in the winter i switch to something else. What i did get tiered of was the actual brewing process and ended up taking an 8 yr break. Now i am back and enjoying it again but i only brew once a month just to keep exciting.

Thanks for the input all. I am taking a (much deserved) break, mostly. Only having a beer one or two days a week. I am taking this opportunity to discover the hard stuff again and experiment with mixed drinks that I never would have considered before. Mostly though, it is a break for my health and well-being. I need to shed a few lbs and consider my long-term health. The extra weight makes my asthma worse and that makes life suck. I have 4 daughters so a new hobby is unlikely at this time.

Back