Ever Ferment A Beetle? I did...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you accidentally fermented a beetle/bug?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
3B5EDAB6-4A73-4A7A-99E3-1CB5FAE4B517.jpeg
Hydrometer sample tasted okay but I totally fermented a beetle. Anyone else ever do the same? In my defense, I didn’t see it when I added the wort to the fermenter.

Now, for a question about ethics, should I tell people if they want some?

We should all die so lucky...

ETA: this poll is invalid. We prepare huge vats of sugary liquid and we're TOLD not to cover (thank you so VERY much, DMS) while we do it. To paraphrase a saying from another walk of life: "there are two kinds of brewers: those who have brewed bugs, and damned liars."

Never a beetle but I have fermented a bee before. I did an IPA that the bees in the park behind the house must have REALLY liked the smell of. After fishing several out of the wort before going to the fermenter, I found one left in the carboy.

I pretended it was the one that stung me on the ankle during the cool down and decided it was karma.

My lovebug beer is going to be ready to drink this weekend. If you don't live in Florida you may not know what lovebugs are, they all hatch at the same time live for about three days and mate for the entire time.
They hatched in the middle of my boil; thousand's of them. I got most of them out but, if you get a bottle with one in it, your going to get lucky.

My lovebug beer is going to be ready to drink this weekend. If you don't live in Florida you may not know what lovebugs are, they all hatch at the same time live for about three days and mate for the entire time.
They hatched in the middle of my boil; thousand's of them. I got most of them out but, if you get a bottle with one in it, your going to get lucky.

I live in South Florida and I’m very familiar with those winged car paint destroyers.

Instead of freezing my grain that had weevils, I microwaved instead. Screwed up my grain. The mash didn't go well, the wort was way under the calculated gravity, and the beer ended up thin and weak.

I think the weevils helped with head retention!

Maybe the OP's beer could be called Beetlejuice? (Dang it.. of course that had already been suggested.. But it does seem the obvious choice!)

Yea I know all about those love bugs. They fly around still attached to their mate all over and will coat the heck out of your vehicle. My neighbor has a white house and for some reason they are attracted to white and they cover the outside of the house landing on the the walls. Good luck on that Lovebug beer!

John

Yea I know all about those love bugs. They fly around still attached to their mate all over and will coat the heck out of your vehicle. My neighbor has a white house and for some reason they are attracted to white and they cover the outside of the house landing on the the walls. Good luck on that Lovebug beer!

John
Two words: SHOP VAC (...with 3" of water and liquid soap (Dawn) added). THat's what I use on Box Elder bugs when they get under my siding. Vacuum until they're all gone, come back in 5 minutes, repeat. I did this for 3 days one year. Haven't had them since.

This could be the start of a new trend. My next brew will be a “Spanish FlyPA”. Each bottle will contain one Spanish fly. The first aphrodisiac spiked beer.

I've found a bee when discarding my yeast after bottling. The bees will sometimes fly right into my boiling wort in the fall... Beer was perfectly fine.

I've mashed a big ass roach once. Like big azz mofo

I found it during the grain dump and didn't tell anyone and beer was phenomenal

Back