EVA Barrier tubing and duo tight fitting possible leak.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtom

Reaction score
I have a 4 output CO2 manifold in a kegerator and had a leak. I believe the leak came from the way I had ties the gas lines up. It out lateral pressure on the connectors causing the leak. I decided to test for leaks by putting the whole thing underwater, applying pressure and monitoring for pressure drop with a gauge. Over night it went from 30 pounds to 25 pounds and the that day went from 25 pounds to 22 pounds. The weird thing is I watched for at least a half hour on several occasions and never saw a bubble. The only thing I can think of is the gauge connection itself was leaking. My question is if I’m losing that much pressure I should se some bubbles right?

That was longer than I thought it would be.

When you say "lateral pressure on the connectors", do you mean you had tight tubing bends in front of the Duotight connectors, or something else?
The Duotight claim-to-fame is their dual O-rings provide extra prevention against leaks in the face of tight tubing bends...

Cheers!

When you say "lateral pressure on the connectors", do you mean you had tight tubing bends in front of the Duotight connectors, or something else?
The Duotight claim-to-fame is their dual O-rings provide extra prevention against leaks in the face of tight tubing bends...

Cheers!
I mean actual pressure from the tubing to the shut off valve before the manifold.

Do you have the clips in all the connections that prevent the tubing from pushing in?

When you performed the leakdown test, how much of the system did you have pressurized? Was the regulator output valve open or closed? Where the output valves on the manifold shut or open?

I start first by putting the regulator at 30psi, shut the reg output valve and shut the tank valve. Does it leak down or hold?
Then close the manifold outputs, open the reg output. Open and close the tank. Does THAT leak down? Now open one manifold output at a time with the grey QD not connected to anything and watch for leak down.

When you performed the leakdown test, how much of the system did you have pressurized? Was the regulator output valve open or closed? Where the output valves on the manifold shut or open?

I start first by putting the regulator at 30psi, shut the reg output valve and shut the tank valve. Does it leak down or hold?
Then close the manifold outputs, open the reg output. Open and close the tank. Does THAT leak down? Now open one manifold output at a time with the grey QD not connected to anything and watch for leak down.
I had the the entire system pressurized. 30 psi, shut the regulator output turned off the tank valve. Everything under water except one leg off the manifold that has the pressure gauge attached to it.

I had the the entire system pressurized. 30 psi, shut the regulator output turned off the tank valve. Everything under water except one leg off the manifold that has the pressure gauge attached to it

Sounds like a solid procedure from here. And if the only thing that hasn't been submerged under pressure is that gauge, it does seem likely it or its connection is the leaker...

Cheers!

Sounds like a solid procedure from here. And if the only thing that hasn't been submerged under pressure is that gauge, it does seem likely it or its connection is the leaker...

Cheers!
Okay. Thank You.

Back