EVA Barrier over barbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fetidpants

Reaction score
After much deliberation and reading up on these threads, I've decided to build my keezer with the superb sounding EVA barrier. Problem is my gas side: I haven't found any info on swaging it onto 3/8" barbs. My gas manifold has 3/8" barbed shutoff valves (calipers show ~10 mm) and would rather not replace them.

I've stretched EVA 4mm ID over a 5/16" barb. That's as big as I'd want to go. If you wanted to try that, warm the end with a heat gun, insert something tapered with a light coating of keg lube or similar on the tapered tool. Let it cool a second, the push the barb in. Clamp with an oetiker clamp.
So clearly 4mm liquid line won't work for the 3/8" gas barbs..

I was initially thinking 5mm might work, but then I did some math. 1/16" = 1.58 mm, so if 4mm barely makes a 5/16" barb, 5mm over 6/16" (i.e. 3/8") would have even less clearance (additional 1 mm ID for the tubing, but going over additional 1.58 mm OD for the barb). Should I just go a size up for my gas lines to 6.5mm x 9.5mm EVA tubing? I understand this means I would need a different set of EVA fittings (9.5mm fittings vs 8mm fittings for 4/5mm ID tubing), which is why I'm hesitating.

In short, can anyone (cough @Bobby_M) comment on 5mm over 3/8" barbs or should I use 6.5mm ID EVA? Any other advice?
Thanks!

day_trippr

Get the shot ffs! Sheesh!
Reaction score
I was able to get the 5 mm ID EVAbarrier over the 3/8" barb on my Micromatic beer gas reg using a swaging tool and a heat gun...

Cheers!

marc1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The 4mm and 5mm ID both have the same OD, so the 5mm is thinner walled and seems to me a bit more flexible.