Euro (13.5) Sanke? Will these work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellenicHomeBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone using the Euro sankes that are 13.5 gallons? Any problems making 10 gallon batchs?

I have a line on some and was wondering if they would suffice?

I have one of these that I use for my HLT and would you believe it is a budweiser keg!!!

For 10 gallon batches, you may at times find that 13.3 gallons is to small.

I get 1.5 - 2 gallons of boil off and I plan to leave about 1/2 gallon in the bottom with all the hops and break material.

Most 10 gallon brewers aim for 11 gallons post boil, add the 2 gallons more for boil off and your at 13 gallons leaving you .3 gallons to absorb boil overs!!

If they are cheap I would certainly use one as a fermenter. You could add wort as some boils off, a PITA but I used to do that before I got my 15.5 keggles.

So I have been wanting to pick up some kegs for some time but I have not been fortunate enough as some people in finding honest 15.5g sankes.

Should I not even bother picking these two up? Mind you for the pair it would be under just over 1/2 a benjamin..

:drunk:

Only issue you'll face is that you'll need special couplers for them.

The European Sanke's require a longer probe. Part of me thinks you could order extra probes and just switch them out as needed though if you want to use an US sanke.

I'd be all over it personally since my setup uses sanke's exclusively(with the option to run a soda keg if it ever shows up, per my sig). But you'll need to think about size consideration in your keezer/kegerator. Also, the coupler's run ~$30, so you'll need those + fittings.

What you are gaining is the perfect keg for a 10-12 gallon batch.

I'd go for it if you can make the setup work.

hmmmm... I might get 'em to just have them in any event.. I saw your thread about converting cornies to sanke so that might be an option. My inital thought was to turn these into a BK and a HLT. I'm thinking 1-1.5 gallon of headspace when boiling would be close but doable.

Oh well.. I'm sure if I change my mind someone here could use them.

I use the 50L kegs as thats all we have here. 10 gals is marginal - you have to boil down a bit and add the last runnings, as opposed to boiling it all at once or scale your recipe to 8.5 - 9 gallons.

If these are next to free - go for it - there is something you can use it for, like HLT for sure.

If its full price get the 15.5

I have 3 of these and use them as fermenters. You don't even need to cut the tops off, just pull the spear out, fill the keg with PBW and let it soak for a day and then boil a gallon of water to sanitize it and you're good to go. I have a 15 gal Minibrew fermenter that i don't even use now because I like the 50L kegs a lot better. With the right set up you can transfer to cornies with Co2 and you're beer will never see oxygen during transfer again. Good find, you won't regret getting them. :mug:

Back