Etiquette Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishraile

Reaction score
Would it be bad form to link a Kickstarter campaign for a friend of mine who is transforming his 12 years of homebrewing into an actual brewery in a brew-starved part of Minnesota in the hopes of pulling in interested parties to help support it?

If not, I will link it in a follow up post, if so... I will fade quietly into the background and cry in my shame.

M

Easy for YOU to say mister "I live in minneapolis and can get all sorts of tasty brews fresh". I am up here in Brainerd. I am the president of the Local Homebrew club, and am always pushing for good beer. The previous president (and club founder) just purchased his site, gotten his paperwork done and is now looking for more funding to help set up his taproom in the brewery. He makes a killer Pale ale, Brown ale, and Cream Ale. With a bunch of seasonals too (Barleywine, IIPA, Honey Wheat, etc)

OK, here is the link to the Kickstarter. If you live in Minnesota and might be able to enjoy this. Or if you just want to support the expansion of better beer, check it out. Throw him a few dollars and maybe get a cool reward too.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099319992/jack-pine-brewery-taproom

You say that like Brainerd doesn't have anything going for it.

"Oh, come on, man! Okay, here's an idea; we can stop outside of Brainerd, I know a place there we can get laid. Whaddya think"

Best of luck to your friend.

Hah, Brainerd is great. Lots of Lakes. And Mosquitoes. The population doubles here in the summer! But MN in general seems to be a bit behind in the good brewing catagory, and is only recently catching up. I hope this guy will be one of the instrumental pieces to that puzzle. At least for this area.

You say that like Brainerd doesn't have anything going for it.

"Oh, come on, man! Okay, here's an idea; we can stop outside of Brainerd, I know a place there we can get laid. Whaddya think"

Best of luck to your friend.

"I was hopin' to take care of this right here, right here in Brainerd." Love that flick.

Ok, Mishraile, ya got me.... Brainerd's no NE Mpls when it comes to beer, but it is a beautiful place. S'pose I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way. Best of luck to your friend!!

If you come up here, look up the Jack Pine Brewery. He hopes to have it up and running by the end of the year. If this kickstarter is successful he will have a nicely set up tap room to pick up pints and growlers from.

If you come up here, look up the Jack Pine Brewery. He hopes to have it up and running by the end of the year. If this kickstarter is successful he will have a nicely set up tap room to pick up pints and growlers from.

Nice! We go camping all over the state in the summer, so keep the thread posted on it's opening. The wife and I always enjoy trying new beer, I'd love to check 'em out when they get up and running. And if fishin' and homebrew are your thing, mayhap you'd want to come by the campsite, throw back a few and catch something to grill.

Hah, Fishing seems like a lot of cursing and mosquito bites to me. Beer makes it tolerable though. And Homebrew makes it downright fun. Mix in meeting other homebrewers and you got your self an experience. Hit me up in here if you are ever in the area camping.

Haha, I hope this is good etiquette! You bet when we get our kickstarter up and running I will be posting a thread about it and bumping it as often as I possibly can (as per forum rules...)

Contributed, btw- really nicely put together project. Looks great, and best of luck to your buddy!

Awesome, Thanks Daksin! I know he will appreciate the support! Good luck on your Nanobrewery, and if you feel like expanding your distribution, I hear Middle Minnesota is a good market.

Awesome, Thanks Daksin! I know he will appreciate the support! Good luck on your Nanobrewery, and if you feel like expanding your distribution, I hear Middle Minnesota is a good market.

Haha, I am sure it is but we won't be distributing for a few years seeing as how we'll probably be delivering it all by hand until we can afford to bring some people on. Cheers!

The 1st rule of etiquette is if you have to ask if you can, you probably shouldn't...or was it start from the outer most fork and work your way in...hell I don't remember... If it is about beer let's see it! If we were not able to mention a brewery this would be a boring forum...

I don't know...his beard could use some more bushiness to it if he's going to be taken seriously as a master brewer.

Eh. Okay. I'll donate some money. It's good brewing karma.

Awesome Landolincoln! Every little bit helps! I will relate your comments on his beard to him. I am of a like mind with you. My own beard boasts my brewing ability better than my brewing ability can stand up to.

Saw that in the beer advocate newsletter today. Too bad it won't be ready till end of the year - i'll be near Garison for a fishing trip in August...

D3track. He might be brewing by then. It would be worth a stop by to see it at least. Who knows what could happen. Donate, get your tshirt, or pint and bring it with you to show off. Heh. If you look it up on facebook (Jack Pine Brewery) you could get the address and more details.

Nordeast, this is for you.

Ok, I'll be up front about this. Homebrewtalk wasn't one of the forums I haunted much (check my posts, I'm sure they'll show that), but I once traversed the forums searching out information. They helped fuel what is now an obsession beyond a hobby.
Yes, I'm going pro.
Yes, It's a metric crapton of work.
Yes, starting a brewery has very little to do with actual brewing.
Yes, you should look me up when you're in the area. (even before I get brewing - hint, hint)
Yes, my beard sucks. I tried. That is about 2 months of growth you see on the video. I aspire to be successful enough to be able to hire a master brewer with an epic beard. Leave the boring business stuff and number crunching to me. I'll just throw some off-the-wall homebrewer ideas towards my bearded associate some day and he'll make it happen.

Livin' the dream. Livin' the dream.

Thanks to those of you that have contributed and thanks to those that are brewing strange beers. You rule.

Patrick Sundberg
Jack Pine Brewery
Baxter, MN
facebook.com/JackPineBrewery

Ok, I'll be up front about this. Homebrewtalk wasn't one of the forums I haunted much (check my posts, I'm sure they'll show that), but I once traversed the forums searching out information. They helped fuel what is now an obsession beyond a hobby.
Yes, I'm going pro.
Yes, you should look me up when you're in the area. (even before I get brewing - hint, hint)
Yes, my beard sucks. I tried. That is about 2 months of growth you see on the video. I aspire to be successful enough to be able to hire a master brewer with an epic beard. Leave the boring business stuff and number crunching to me. I'll just throw some off-the-wall homebrewer ideas towards my bearded associate some day and he'll make it happen.

Thanks to those of you that have contributed and thanks to those that are brewing strange beers. You rule.

Patrick Sundberg
Jack Pine Brewery
Baxter, MN

Do me one small favor...For the love that all that is holy, please sample the stuff BEFORE it leaves your brewery. The last thing we need is another brewery that makes "Did anyone taste this?" beers. Michigan has Shorts, Wisco has Point, you really do not need to be "that brewery from MN."

Yes, I'm going pro.

Patrick Sundberg
Jack Pine Brewery
Baxter, MN

Hey, guess we get to wish you luck ourselves.... Best of luck to ya, I'll be sure to stop in next time I'm up that way. And don't sweat the beard, just tell 'em you've got a grower and not a show-er! :ban: Sorry, new Futurama episode, Bender's one of my personal heroes. :ban: :mug: :ban: Really, though, good luck!!!

Yes, I'm going pro.

Patrick Sundberg
Jack Pine Brewery
Baxter, MN

That sounds good, I'll look you up closer to the trip, may have a small group with to check it out!

Yes, tasting will definitely be part of the equation.
What I lack in professional brewing experience, I hope to make up for in beer knowledge and judging experience (National BJCP).

Thanks for all the well-wishes and yes, please stop by if you're in the area.

There he is! Patrick! The Man, the hero, the guy who will maybe give me free beer?! I kid I kid.

As a Homebrew Tasting Judge and an Homebrew Club guru, he has the experience in making good brew. I can attest to it. I have sat within arms reach of his draft system for many an hour. Heck, he even got me to appreciate Cream Ales!! Thats saying something. His Duck Pond Brown Ale and His Fenceline Pale ale are two of my favorites though. You guys gotta try this stuff.

Thanks! That means a lot.
Sitting out in the garage within reach of the taps is a dangerous place to be, but usually ends up with some interesting conversations.

Hey Mister Bedford! Nice to see you on here! Thanks for commenting. Yep, when I finally do get you and that growing family of yours up for a visit finally, we can spend the entirety of the time on the floor of Patrick's brewery.

Bumping this thread to get more views, while the Kickstarter Campaign is still live! Check out the link on the first page, give if you can!

Bumping the thread again. He is halfway to his deadline, and needs a lot of help. If you like beer. Want to see good beer promoted. Live in Central Minnesotta or have extra money you don't know what to do with, please donate!

just stumbled on this thread... i take it you know zach? i work at the same company and every time i'm out there i have a hard time finding good beer, in fact i was even told several times to go to poncho+lefty's because they had "good beer" :) i'm gonna have to make another business trip when you open. good luck!

Timuel,
Yeah, Zach is the VP of the brew club now. I am the President, but he does all the work. Good setup if you ask me. Very few places up here serve good stuff, another reason I am so voraciously promoting this kickstarter campaign! We need a good local brewery! Next time you are up, look up Jack Pine Brewery. Also, good place for good eats and good beer is Prairy Bay Restaurant. I was there yesterday. its a bit pricey but VERY good food. They had 11 beers on tap, and only 2 of them were the BMC breweries! THey had 8 pit pale, Odell's 90 schilling, Deschutes porter AND english pale, Brau Brother's Sheeps Head,Capital Hop Cream, a couple others. I had a hard time choosing which one I wanted! I am not used to that!

ah, nice! glad to see he does actual work somewhere (kidding). thanks for the recommend -- i did go to one golf course a couple of months ago, don't recall the name but i remember it had 36 holes and was really nice, and they had some decent beers too.

i'll definitely check it out next time -- i have to go see my name on the plaque ;)

Well I know Patrick appreciates it, for sure! I am trying to think of where you might have gone...perhaps Ernies? They have a good selection there, though they frost their mugs :(

I wish I could donate because Minneaota is killing the beer scene right now. But I find myself in a bit of financial hard time. good luck. I'll swing by if I'm ever driving across the state.

Tinga, I know that place! my Brewing budget is $30 a month right now!!! Trying hard to get to all grain completely so I can bring the cost per brew down. A few more pieces and I am there!

Def drop by whenever you are in the brainerd lakes area, you won't be disappointed!

Zamial said:
Do me one small favor...For the love that all that is holy, please sample the stuff BEFORE it leaves your brewery. The last thing we need is another brewery that makes "Did anyone taste this?" beers. Michigan has Shorts, Wisco has Point, you really do not need to be "that brewery from MN."

If Point initiated that practice they'd never ship a bottle of beer. In 27 years of drinking beer in this state I've never like a product from that brewery, other than what they bottle for Capital Brewery in Madison.

Back