Quantcast

Esters/phenols developping during bottle storage ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jfr1111

Reaction score
I drank my last bottle of Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout tonight. It was my first batch ever, made from a Festabrew kit and fermented using S-33 dry yeast. I started drinking the beer at about 6 weeks after brewing and it had all the characteristics of a good Oatmeal Stout: clean nose with roasted malts and chocolate, good mouthfeel and a powdery, bitter chocolate finish. Almost no trace of esters or phenolic character, altough S-33 is touted as a Belgian yeast on Fermentis website.

The beer I'm drinking now seems to be a completly different brew. Gone is the clean nose: the beer is now very phenolic and sweet smelling, like the offerings from Unibroue. The same can be said for the taste: almost no roastiness/chocolate is left, only sticky-sweet malt and undescribed fruitiness. The beer was left in the fridge for the past 2 months.

Has anybody ever experienced this ? My beer basically went from a good Oatmel Stout to a Noire de Chambly sorta brew. I think I might be finished using S-33 in anything non-Belgian !