Ester/Phenol Balance in Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of a hefeweizen or a dunkelweizen in a hot summer day, but with some commercial brews I feel like the ester taste/aroma seems to dominate the spicy phenolic component by the end of the glass. The level of banana in Franziskaner or Paulaner are plenty for my tastes.

I hear some of these weizen yeasts can easily produce a "banana bomb". First and foremost, I want to avoid that. What should I do? Also I brew this beer, what can I "tweak" to slightly reduce the concentration of esters with respect to the concentration of phenols?

I use WL380 and ferment at 62 degrees (the wort, not ambient). I like the balance this produces. I am more of a clove guy than a banana guy.

I obsessed about this for a while last year and have links in this thread.

Thanks everybody.

It seems that any question capable of being asked has already been answered somewhere here, but finding that answer can be another matter.

Lots of reading to do here for sure... but much of it is worthwhile. I like seeing folks ask about things I have pursued so I can point others down the same path.

I also like letting you pick that path. I have no hard rules, as everyone has a different perception of their ideals in brewing.

And this place empowers all that. And is entertaining and social to boot.

I also like letting you pick that path. I have no hard rules, as everyone has a different perception of their ideals in brewing.

Yeah, I've just started brewing but I can see how people get very gung-ho about it. It's a great blend of the artistic and the scientific. I hope to get to the point where I can make something specific to my tastes, or replicate my favorite aspects of commercial brews. So far, it seems like the hardest part is waiting.

So far, it seems like the hardest part is waiting.

True!

And it is worth the wait. It is always sad when a beer gets great... on the 45th bottle of the batch.

Build that pipeline up!

I have learned a ton from brewing the same recipes and fine tuning the process and learning how it reacts to different changes.

Back