Essential oils: myrrh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdgod

Reaction score
I have two questions.

First, is it possible to use essential oils during the boil to flavor the beer? I mean obviously they are normally insoluble in water, but I thought, perhaps at high enough temperatures they might dissolve. Although maybe they would just precipitate back out of solution after cooling. But it's not like you would need very much of the essential oil.

Second, I want to make a beer with myrrh, and I have some myrrh essential oil, but does anyone know if that would work? Because I'm not sure, but I think myrrh might have antifungal properties which may kill the yeast.

Does anyone know?

Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume
Breathes of life of gathering gloom
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying
Sealed in the stone-cold tomb

Love that hymn.

Sorry, back to beer- it is described as a resin, like a hop?

If you invent the next beer super trend, let us all know the recipe.

I would brew it into a 1G batch, and experiment with different batches until you get it how you want it.

I just put a couple drops into the beer I'm making right now, 5 minutes before the end of the boil. I don't know if I put enough for the taste to really come through, but I was afraid of killing the yeast. I don't know how many of you have ever tasted myrrh before, but I feel it has a similar flavor and aroma to hops.

Isn't wine with Myrrh what they tried to drug Jesus with while he was on the stake, because it is an ancient pain killer? I think you may be onto something ;)

Well a few drops of myrrh didn't kill the yeast. Its bubbling away like crazy. :ban:

I figure it probably dissolved I mean its the essential oils in hops that give hop flavor and aroma. If anything, all the proteins and stuff probably form an emulsion with the oils.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1675/4773

Myrrh is apparently not out of the question. As for the essential oil question, I'd be worried about it mixing properly, but otherwise I have no idea.

There's also http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occasional-rarities/birra-etrusca-bronze.htm

and I read somewhere that someone made mead with myrrh.

Isn't wine with Myrrh what they tried to drug Jesus with while he was on the stake, because it is an ancient pain killer? I think you may be onto something ;)

http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/matthew-mark/was-vinegar-given-jesus-cross-mingled-gall-or-myrrh

I looked into it. Here's an interesting read on the subject. :)

Hi All- I am an essential oil educator- I would love to share information and learn from you as I am working with a small craft brewer to add the oils I use to his brews.I can share the knowledge that I have about the properties of therapeutic grade (not all can be ingested) oils if you want to connect with me to educate me about brewing. I don't want to solicit at all here- I want to learn and share education with each other. Please let me know if this isn't ok- I am open to private off page dialog if its not appropriate to share here.

Back