Espresso Stout, which BJCP Style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
I brewed an espresso stout (coffee stout) that I want to enter in a homebrew competition. The trouble is, they aren't judging based on how good the beer is, necessarily, they're judging on how well it fits the profile of the BJCP Style Guidelines for that style of beer. I used coffee in the secondary and it's a damn good beer but I don't know which Stout category to choose to submit it for judging. Does anyone know which BJCP Style this would fit? Or has anyone entered a coffee stout to competition before using the BJCP style guidelines?

Much thanks for your help.

Eric

It does not fit any of the stout categories, because of the addition of coffee. You're stuck with 23: Specialty beers, which is extremely hard to win.

On the other hand, you might get useful evaluations, since anything in 23 is judged standalone.

I'm pretty sure you should go with 21, which specifically mentions coffee beer.

21A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers (including combinations of these items).

Commercial Examples: Alesmith Speedway Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Traquair Jacobite Ale, Rogue Chipotle Ale, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, Bell’s Java Stout, Fraoch Heather Ale, Southampton Pumpkin Ale, Rogue Hazelnut Nectar, Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Ale, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Left Hand JuJu Ginger Beer, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Dogfish Head Midas Touch, Redhook Double Black Stout, Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale, BluCreek Herbal Ale, Christian Moerlein Honey Almond, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Birrificio Baladin Nora, Cave Creek Chili Beer

Back