ESPN Page 2: What if Bledsoe Didn't Get Hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
This is rather amusing. It's an alternate reality where Drew Bledsoe never got injured in '01 and our favorite sixth-rounder isn't exactly dating a supermodel...

Here is where reality and possibility diverge a bit. The Patriots go into the 2002 season with Bledsoe as their clear starting quarterback. He is the reigning Super Bowl MVP, after all. He's only 30. He is a three-time Pro Bowler. And he has the pedigree of being a former No. 1 overall pick.

New England enters training camp with three quarterbacks: Bledsoe, Brady and fourth-round pick Rohan Davey, who's coming off of a record-setting career at SEC power LSU.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick quickly decides it is too much of a risk to have his star quarterback backed-up by a pair of unproven youngsters in Brady and Davey. This is the Super Bowl champion. There is too much at stake if Bledsoe goes down. So for his second-stringer, Belichick signs the always-intriguing Jeff George -- late of the Redskins and a player with a similar style to Bledsoe.

That leaves the final spot to either Brady or Davey. Brady was a sixth-round draft pick two years ago. He only has three career attempts. Meanwhile, the Patriots spent a fourth-rounder on Davey. In the final cut of camp, Belichick releases Tom Brady.

With most NFL rosters solidified, Brady can't find a job. Who wants a universally panned sixth-round draft pick with this body? No one, Brady quickly discovers.

Without a paycheck and almost flat broke due to blowing most of his two years of sixth-round pick money on pocket squares, ascots and haberdashery, Brady is forced into the workforce while he hopes for a call from an NFL team.

His first job is at the Gap at a suburban Boston shopping mall. But he is quickly fired for violating part of the employee dress code, called "the tuck rule."

The year ends with Brady down to his last few dollars and further than ever from NFL stardom.

Mmm...this is some fine photoshoppin...

brady_with_doughnut.jpg

Did we REALLY need another patriots thread? Come on Evan...

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right? I mean, remember, most of these so called patriots fans can dish it out but not take it. I'd hate for them to get their undies in a bundle yet again. ;)

Dude said:

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right? I mean, remember, most of these so called patriots fans can dish it out but not take it. I'd hate for them to get their undies in a bundle yet again. ;)

exactly, not everyone can be lucky enough to be a Packers or Redskins fan.
Because those are 2 truely great teams that win all the time. :mug:

FWIW, the Pats carried Brady as a FOURTH QB in his first year in the league. It was Bledsoe, Scott Zolak (I think), Michael Bishop, and Brady. Lots of people at the time were clamoring for Bishop to get the starting nod, since he was a scrambler with a decent arm (a VERY poor man's Michael Vick). But, they clearly saw SOMETHING in Brady, Belichick isn't the kind of coach to waste a roster spot (he only carried two QBs on the roster for a long time).

And, YES, I KNOW - THIS IS THE ONION - but it's not really funny if it does't make any sense....

It wasn't "yet another pats bashing thread" whatsoever. I think even Brady worshippers can find that that piece amusing. Hell, you could do the same kind of thing for pretty much any sports star. The moment they got their break---what if it never happened?

Actually, if it were the onion, it would make more sense. It's ESPN.

Dude said:

...you know that this will make you look like a total dick, right?

Hey, now, at least I didn't put a snarky pats quote in my signature. Gosh, if I did that, I'd look like a total dick every time I posted. Especially if I made the text red. Yeah, good thing I didn't do that.

:D;):p

Evan! said:
Hey, now, at least I didn't put a snarky pats quote in my signature. Gosh, if I did that, I'd look like a total dick every time I posted. Especially if I made the text red. Yeah, good thing I didn't do that.

:D;)

At least he took down the one that INCORRECTY identified *me* as prematurely awarding the title to the Pats (when it was *his* damn quote ;)).

Page 2, The Onion... same thing ;)

the_bird said:
At least he took down the one that INCORRECTY identified *me* as prematurely awarding the title to the Pats (when it was *his* damn quote ;)).

ha, didn't see that one. Me, I prefer "Only 17 points? HAHAHAHAHA!" ;)

Funny if you're not a Pats fan I guess. ;)

Every fan could do this with their team though. What if Matt Millen hadn't blown so many drafts?

What if instead of these guys:

Joey Harrington
Charles Rogers
Mike Williams
Kalimba Edwards
Boss Bailey

He had taken these guys (all taken after Lions picks):

Dwight Freeney
Clinton Portis
Osi Umenyiora
Terence Newman
Shawne Merriman

Damn, this made me realize just how much I want Matt Millen fired, but I've gotten a bit off topic.

I had my fun with the Pats fans, but I'll leave them alone now. I guess it's time to go find a new avatar. :D

the_bird said:

Yeah, but you showed your a-holishness by even putting it in your sig. Notice how as soon as the patsies lost, your sig changed.

:rolleyes:

I put it in my sig to "help" remind everyone how cocky you were that day. If you felt you needed to put it in your sig, you were trying to get someone's goat. Me, in that case.

bigjohnmilford said:
exactly, not everyone can be lucky enough to be a Packers or Redskins fan.
Because those are 2 truely great teams that win all the time. :mug:

Well, both teams made the playoffs. That is saying something.

My team was 4-12 just 2 years ago. They've come a long way in a short amount of time, and not once did I ever spout in anyone's face about it.

Dude said:

My team was 4-12 just 2 years ago. They've come a long way in a short amount of time, and not once did I ever spout in anyone's face about it.

I gotta agree.

The skins buried their superstar player and lost their rapidly-improving phenom QB, and went on to win their last 5 games to make the playoffs after having been written off by just about everyone.

Can't say I didn't spout in anyone's face about it, though. One of the guys that we went to the final Cowboys game with was an obnoxious cowboys fan and was talking the worst kind of smack all the way there. And after they got beat down, he kept mouthing off about how the game didn't matter anyway. So me and the other 2 guys, all rabid skins fans, were obviously obligated to spout off. :D

Dude said:

I'm done, Football season is done. I will keep my big mouth shut about things I know little about. The Daytona 500 is Sunday and I will be happy watching racing until November. I'm tired of argueing about millionaires that play a kids game.

Dude said:

Why would you??They made the playoffs..Big deal..I wouldn't either if I were you...

bigjohnmilford said:
I'm done, Football season is done. I will keep my big mouth shut about things I know little about. The Daytona 500 is Sunday and I will be happy watching racing until November. I'm tired of argueing about millionaires that play a kids game.

One word Big John..Jealous..:ban: All the carrying on..It's pathetic and very amusing...:D

ohiobrewtus said:
Funny if you're not a Pats fan I guess. ;)

Every fan could do this with their team though. What if Matt Millen hadn't blown so many drafts?

What if instead of these guys:

Joey Harrington
Charles Rogers
Mike Williams
Kalimba Edwards
Boss Bailey

He had taken these guys (all taken after Lions picks):

Dwight Freeney
Clinton Portis
Osi Umenyiora
Terence Newman
Shawne Merriman

Damn, this made me realize just how much I want Matt Millen fired, but I've gotten a bit off topic.

I had my fun with the Pats fans, but I'll leave them alone now. I guess it's time to go find a new avatar. :D

Wow..If they only had two of the five they would've been much better..Imagine if they had Osi and Freeney. Man..

Speaking of Osi..He smoked Matt Light again in the probowl..He's amazing..

bigjohnmilford said:

Same here, except for the part about the kids'game. It's time for baseball!:ban:

You can have your Nascar, if that's your thing. Personally, I don't get it-go fast, turn left, repeat.

Bernie Brewer said:
Same here, except for the part about the kids'game. It's time for baseball!:ban:

You can have your Nascar, if that's your thing. Personally, I don't get it-go fast, turn left, repeat.

Hey Bernie, How's the Brewers gonna do this year??The Redsox start the year in Japan..Morning Baseball..Yipee!!

Bulls Beers said:
One word Big John..Jealous..:ban: All the carrying on..It's pathetic and very amusing...:D

Yeah, that's it. Jealousy. Garsh, you pegged it. But you, Bulls, you're above the fray. Aside from those three posts in a row making sure everyone knows how much better you are.

I am SO jealous of pats fans! I wish I was Bulls Beers! Dude does too. Why, just last week I heard him talking about how he was thinking about jumping on the Pats b-wagon.

At least you have us to amuse you! :p

Bulls Beers said:
Hey Bernie, How's the Brewers gonna do this year??The Redsox start the year in Japan..Morning Baseball..Yipee!!

After almost 30 years of dissapointment (especially last year's), I take my usual wait-and-see stance.

Bernie Brewer said:
After almost 30 years of dissapointment (especially last year's), I take my usual wait-and-see stance.

I know what you mean..I was right there with ya year after friggin year, up until a few years ago..Hang in there. If the Sox could win it all, everybodys got a shot..

Bernie Brewer said:

If you ever have the chance go check out a race. Go to your local short track or something. If you think it's just go fast turn left you're not seeing the whole picture. I'll agree some of the races are too long. But, I'd sit through a 3 or 4 hour race before I watched 9 innings of baseball. What other sport can you bring a cooler full of beer into the arena with you? With all pro sports Nascar included the players are over paid the tickets cost too much. To each his own. If you've never been to a race you don't know what you're missing. :mug:

the_bird said:
And, YES, I KNOW - THIS IS THE ONION - but it's not really funny if it does't make any sense....

Actually it is ESPN Page 2. And I found it to be rather interesting and humorous.

I think the best thing about going to a race would be the people watching. From what I've heard, the creatures who frequent NASCAR, etc., races are a sight to behold.

Otherwise...cars...driving in circles...over and over...mmmm...yeeahhh.

I've been to a Nascar race, and I just don't get it. I enjoyed hanging out with my friends and drinking beer, but the people around us were um.... how can I put this.... different than me. Maybe it's because I'm uneducated as to the details of Nascar, but all I saw was cars driving around in circles.

To each their own, but to me, if there's not a ball or a puck involved it's not a sport, it's an event.

ohiobrewtus said:
I've been to a Nascar race, and I just don't get it. I enjoyed hanging out with my friends and drinking beer, but the people around us were um.... how can I put this.... different than me. Maybe it's because I'm uneducated as to the details of Nascar, but all I saw was cars driving around in circles.

To each their own, but to me, if there's not a ball or a puck involved it's not a sport, it's an event.

event / sport these days with officials betting on games and perhaps effecting the outcome the lines seem to be getting blury. It's all a matter of personal prefference. I grew up playing every sport you can think of. I'd rather do than watch most of them. I'll agree with you that there is an element of the Nascar crowd that is to put it nicely a little slower than most. But that's what makes the world go round. :mug:

Evan! said:
Yeah, that's it. Jealousy. Garsh, you pegged it. But you, Bulls, you're above the fray. Aside from those three posts in a row making sure everyone knows how much better you are.

I am SO jealous of pats fans! I wish I was Bulls Beers! Dude does too. Why, just last week I heard him talking about how he was thinking about jumping on the Pats b-wagon.

At least you have us to amuse you! :p

icon_clap1.gif

Bulls Beers said:
One word Big John..Jealous..:ban: All the carrying on..It's pathetic and very amusing...

LOL. You just don't get it. You are the butt of a joke and you still think it is on someone else. LMAO.

Bulls Beers said:
Ugh...Your brewery should be called Iron Bore....Jokes over..It's been over for awhile..

ohhhhh SNAP! You showed him! Iron BORE! Ha! I get it! You should quit brewing and do standup...I mean, you're already halfway there. A few "your momma" jokes with the occasional "black people do this, white people do that" quip, and you're the next Seinfeld.

bigjohnmilford said:
If you ever have the chance go check out a race. Go to your local short track or something. If you think it's just go fast turn left you're not seeing the whole picture. I'll agree some of the races are too long. But, I'd sit through a 3 or 4 hour race before I watched 9 innings of baseball. What other sport can you bring a cooler full of beer into the arena with you? With all pro sports Nascar included the players are over paid the tickets cost too much. To each his own. If you've never been to a race you don't know what you're missing. :mug:

I've been to races in two separate town in WI. To me, it's just go fast, turn left. But that's OK. I didn't mean anything by it and still don't. Those that follow it, love it, the way I love baseball. Like you said, to each his (or her) own.:mug:

I live in the heart of NASCAR country but you couldn't drag me to a race. It just doesn't appeal to me. Luckily, I've got NHL hockey 15 minutes north of me, AAA baseball 30 minutes west of me and AA baseball 40 minutes east of me.

You guys are missing out watching NASCAR/NFL/NHL/Etc. This is where the excitement and controvery are:
[youtube]EMz_XwbJ8l8[/youtube]
Get swept up in the fun!

There's 2 kinds of people. People who watch and cheer for curling seriously, and people who watch and cheer for curling "ironically".

The latter tend to be the same people who listen to Journey "ironically" and shop at thrift stores "ironically".

Which are you? :D ;)

Bulls Beers said:
Ugh...Your brewery should be called Iron Bore....Jokes over..It's been over for awhile..

You'd SO like it to be, wouldn't you?

As long as the good stuff keeps coming in, I'm going to report it, just like you did before the most crushing loss in franchise history.

You were SO confident, and certainly let us know about it.

Methinks the continuance of spygate is going to be a fitting ending to your over-confidence.

Back