ESB Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
I've decided on an ESB for my next brew. I've read through some of the WYeast/White Labs brochures and narrowed my yeast selection down. I was curious if anyone has made multiple ESBs with different yeasts, if so which was your favorite and why?

Also note, I've ruled out 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast since it says it requires a diacetyl rest.

Please chime in....

Justin

I've used 1028 and 1098 and 1275 in ESBs with good results. I just used 1275, the Thames Valley yeast, for a bitter I currently have in the primary.

I recently used WL "British Ale Yeast" with good success. . .left a good malty character that balanced the hops pretty well. I wish I had actually harvested some. :mug:

uwmgdman said:
Also note, I've ruled out 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast since it says it requires a diacetyl rest.

what is your issue with the diacetyl rest? :confused:
in the case of an ale yeast, this is nothing more than waiting to rack to secondary until several days after fermentation is complete...

yeah WL british ale works great, and i'd start with that, if youre not happy, then try some other english varieties.

Lou said:
what is your issue with the diacetyl rest? :confused:
in the case of an ale yeast, this is nothing more than waiting to rack to secondary until several days after fermentation is complete...

No issue, I guess I really didn't know exactly what a diacetyl rest was, eg how long/at what temperatures. The brochure from Wyeast says a diacetyl rest 50-70 degrees. I'll be in the mid/upper 60s for fermentation temps, I guess the big range kind of puzzled me.

So a diacetyl rest is basically letting it sit in the primary for a few days after krausen falls? Does anyone have any more detail to a diacetyl rest?

Thanks again,
Justin

uwmgdman said:
No issue, I guess I really didn't know exactly what a diacetyl rest was, eg how long/at what temperatures. The brochure from Wyeast says a diacetyl rest 50-70 degrees. I'll be in the mid/upper 60s for fermentation temps, I guess the big range kind of puzzled me.

So a diacetyl rest is basically letting it sit in the primary for a few days after krausen falls? Does anyone have any more detail to a diacetyl rest?

Thanks again,
Justin
a diacetyl rest is more common when using lager yeast.
basically, diacetyl is produced during fermentation. if you "rest" the fermented beer around 68F for 24 hours the yeast will consume the diacetyl and make the beer taste better (the beer should be at that temp for 24 hours, not just in the ambient 68F room for 24 hours -- realize that it will take some time for 5gallons to warm up to 68).
For a lager, which is fermented in the 50s, the brewer needs to actually do something -- i.e., increase the temp to 68.
For an ale, you will already be fermenting at this temp, so you just need to give the yeast additional time post-fermentation to adequately consume the diacetyl.

Lou said:
Also.....
this link was posted by Kai a while ago and is a from a far more authoritative source (george fix) than me... it should correct any retarded stuff i may have said earlier...
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.2/fix.html

Interesting read if you like nerdy things like I do..........I will have to reconsider 1968...

I think I'm narrowed down between 1968, 1275, and 1318

EDIT: I'm learning heavily towards 1275, sounds like it will be the least fruity yeast of the three, which I think is the way I want to go for my ESB.....we'll see though, I think I'll see if any more comments roll in

I just used 1275 for my Yukon Arctic Red clone...The jury is still out somewhat, as it's only been bottle conditioning for about 2 weeks, but I opened up a bottle this weekend and thought it tasted great. No off flavors or anything, it seems like a very neutral yeast. It fermented really quickly too...started fermenting within about 6 hours, and went from 1.042 to 1.012 in just over 3 days, with no starter. I was a bit worried about off flavors, because there were times during the fermentation when my ambient temp got up to about 74F, but I think that once this beer is finished conditioning it's going to taste great. I'll definitely be using this one again...neutral, versatile, and fast acting :mug:

Just my $0.02.

-Josh

RichBrewer said:
I used WLP002 in my ESB and WAS NOT pleased with it at all. I've has 2 brews in a row get stuck at 1.020 with it.

Mine stopped at 1.020 as well, but it was a reasonably high gravity beer, and ended up at 6.5% ABV. The maltiness, alcohol, and hops were reasonably strong on all accounts but were balanced. I'll use it again.

Of course, I'm referring to the British Ale yeast (WLP005)--I probably could have received a few more points off of my FG had I aerated my wort prior to pitching. :cross:

Regarding the London yeast, I imagine the yeast would metabolise the diacetyl in the secondary aswell as the primary. Like all ESB's you'll want to leave it a good long time to mature in the secondary anyway.

We use 1098 for our ESB, as does a local micro (where we got our first batch ot the 1098). It gets down fairly quickly and does not require a rest at all. I likeit because it does not pull all of the malt out like the 1056 tends to. We also added a bit of biscuit malt for color and a nice bready note to it.

Which one is the fullers yeast? I have used whitbread, fullers, and a few of the other WL and Wyeast varieties as well as Safeale 04 and Nottingham. My favorite is fullers by a mile. But then again fullers LP is my favorite pale ale by a mile. If you are making an ESB or pale I can't recommend the fullers yeast enough. It finished malty and even a bit fruity. If you treat your wort right you will have no problems fermenting out all the way.

I think Fullers is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB. Although this is supposed to be a low attenuating yeast and Fullers LP doesnt taste very sweet to me. Although, It the bottled version tastes completely different from the cask version...

mysterio said:
I think Fullers is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB. Although this is supposed to be a low attenuating yeast and Fullers LP doesnt taste very sweet to me. Although, It the bottled version tastes completely different from the cask version...

LP is one of the maltiest EPAs I've had. The cask is maltier than the bottle. The last time I had it at a pub I remember thinking how sweet it was. The trick with this is to balance your unfermentable sugars. If you load your beer with crystal or munich you are gonna end high. Its not the yeasts fault. But that is the style of beer anyway. ESBs are malty. My point is, the fullers yeast lends the best flavor IMO.

It's malty for sure, I just didn't think it was too sweet. But then again i'm comparing it to my homebrews which always turn out a bit on the sweet side :drunk:

mysterio said:
my homebrews which always turn out a bit on the sweet side :drunk:

Laaglander's DME?

I'll third, fourth, fifth, whatever the suggestion of the WLP005. I did my pub ale with that and it was super malty--but not overly sweet. I LOVE that yeast.

mysterio said:
It's malty for sure, I just didn't think it was too sweet. But then again i'm comparing it to my homebrews which always turn out a bit on the sweet side :drunk:

Add a lb of sugar. It really helps to lower your FG and make your beers dryer. Don't replace your malts with sugar though. That makes weak tasting beer. Add it in addition to your sweet recipes. Seems crazy huh? Beer too sweet...add sugar! :mug:

Raising a dead thread!

I'm doing an ESB this weekend and thinking about using WY 1469 West Yorkshire. Great yeast but haven't used it in a while, or with ESB. I wanted Challenger hops but have Chinook on hand so what the heck. Thinking about adding in a small amount of aromatic malt. Anybody know what would be a good amount for this style? I'm thinking play safe at 3% of grist...

STRONG BITTER 5.5 gal / 1.055 / 45 IBU
82% MO
10% Wheat
5% C70-90
3% Aromatic
0.25 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 10
2 oz Chinook @ 0 (+ 20 min hop stand)
WY 1469

You're serious about the dead thread, '06;).. I like 1968, have it in an English style mild now. How is the 1469?

1469 is great in my opinion. Great malt/hop balance, stonefruit esters if you go warm, drops crystal clear and will attenuate higher than the posted range if you mash low. It's also reliable and very low maintenance. Massive top-cropper though, so you need to give it plenty of headroom. In a nutshell, its a beast.

I've only done lower gravity brews with 1469 (up to around 5.5abv). I have heard in the past that Yorkshire doesn't like high gravity brews, but like rhys333 mentioned I think a lower mash will help attenuate it more fully. Will have to try this at some point because 1469 is my favorite English yeast!

I had an ESB flight at White Labs on 11 April 2016.
WLP037 was by far my favorite, most distinctive, brought out the minerals.
WLP510 was surprisingly good and clean, brought out the malt. I was so impressed that it is bubbling fast right now for my St. Landelin la Divine Inspiration, (admittedly not an ESB).
WLP005 was third best, clean, that's a lawnmower ESB.
WLP051 was good enough.

WLP041 is my preferred ESB yeast, but then my first ESB was a Redhook ESB clone, and this is supposedly Redhook yeast.
WLP011 was my most recent ESB yeast, and the leftover hops pop.
WLP002 was used in an ordinary bitter, clean.

Back