ESB with Safale US-05 Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I'm going to rack an APA out of primary this weekend and I'd like to reuse part of the yeast cake. I used a dry Safale US-05 Ale yeast on that batch. Is it worth trying an ESB recipe with that yeast?

It will probably be great beer, but I think it will not taste like many people expect an ESB to taste. I think the slight fruitiness and the lower attentuation (read: more maltiness) of an english style yeast is a part of what people expect an ESB to taste like.

After saying all of that, I should confess that I seldom brew to style any more. Maybe you could brew it and call it an ASB (American Special Bitter)?

I'm going to rack an APA out of primary this weekend and I'd like to reuse part of the yeast cake. I used a dry Safale US-05 Ale yeast on that batch. Is it worth trying an ESB recipe with that yeast?

You can do an ESB with US-05. It's very versatile and can be used for a huge range of styles.

Ok thanks guys I'll give it a shot...I'm a noob, so It'll be interesting to compare the APA to the ASB :)

I know that the French Broad Brewing company in Asheville NC uses Cal Ale yeast in their ESB "13 Rebels" - which is surprisingly close to a good english character (or that I've tried - like Fullers). I think they said they ferment at 67 with that yeast

All grain brewers can "over ride" the dryer '05 yeast with a shorter mash rest (40 minutes) and a substantially higher mash temp (157-159).

I pitch on 05 cakes regularly and the shorter/hotter mash will greatly reduce your attenuation and give you that residual sweetness.

If you have the capacity, I also recommend you mash out at 170+ degrees to stop the conversion and reduce the fermentability of your beer.

All grain brewers can "over ride" the dryer '05 yeast with a shorter mash rest (40 minutes) and a substantially higher mash temp (157-159).

I pitch on 05 cakes regularly and the shorter/hotter mash will greatly reduce your attenuation and give you that residual sweetness.

If you have the capacity, I also recommend you mash out at 170+ degrees to stop the conversion and reduce the fermentability of your beer.

I have been having problems with S-05 and over attenuation. What are your FG's with the shorter mash rests and higher mash temps (157-159)?

I have been having problems with S-05 and over attenuation. What are your FG's with the shorter mash rests and higher mash temps (157-159)?

At 40 minutes and 157 on a 1045 beer, I'll finish around 1014-1015. The opposite is true if you want a very dry beer. 90 minutes at 149 will take that same beer down to 1002-1003.

Biermuncher, of course, that's right - you can take a yeast and use it in different ways and produce different results. In addition to the mash, you can also adjust the fermentation temps.

For example, if you want to coax a few esters out of a neutral or clean yeast, ferment it a few degrees higher than you might normally. I've not done this with US-05, but I have with Edinburgh (WLP028), where I ferment it in the low to mid 60s usually but inch it up towards 70 for a english bitter or a mild. Works great.

At 40 minutes and 157 on a 1045 beer, I'll finish around 1014-1015. The opposite is true if you want a very dry beer. 90 minutes at 149 will take that same beer down to 1002-1003.

Right on. My last IPA (1.062) was mashed around 148 for 60 minutes and it finished around 1.006, batch sparging, no mash out. Way too dry.

Next time I will mash around 154 for 40 minutes and mash out around 170. Using S-05 I am hoping to finish around 1.012-14.

To the OP, if you are doing AG make sure to take your mash temp into consideration. S-05 will eat up those fermentalble sugars and dry out your beer.

You can do an ESB with US-05. It's very versatile and can be used for a huge range of styles.

Heh, well good on ya to encourage the guy and all that. But... I have tried doing an ESB with US-05 and it tasted like a pale ale with too many dextrins. No balance, no malt character that you get from an english yeast. US-05 will not get you anywhere near the flavour profile you need - why bother wasting your time making the ESB if you will just end up with an american-ish ale. Just my 2 bits.

ANyway, Sounds like OP already did it. I am sure the beer will be great.

Back