ESB recipe formulation attempt #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomka

Reaction score
trying to start formulating my own recipes and craving an ESB so thought now would be a good time to start. Heres my current recipe:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) | Grain | 69.7 %
1 lbs 7.9 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) | Grain | 24.5 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) | Grain | 4.1 %
1.6 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) | Grain | 1.6 %

1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop | 35.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop | 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop | 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 7 Hop | 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop | 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast |
or
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast |

Mash at 152 F
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.7 IBUs

Stuck on which yeast to choose that would complement Special B, or if i should use something different thats maybe a little cleaner?
All help and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would also drop the Special-B and cut way back on the biscuit or eliminate it entirely replacing with additional pale malt. You have a base of good UK pale malt, it really doesn't need the help of 25% biscuit malt. If you're looking for a little extra malt aroma then a few ounces of biscuit in this recipe should be all you need. For color enhancement try a tablespoon of chocolate malt. Just a touch gives a nice deep copper color.

Ok, I was torn between doing a dubbel and an ESB and thought the special B would be a nice touch for some plum raisen taste.
So the special B I really want to leave in.
But I'll be sure to cut down the biscuit or leave it out.

Any suggestions about the yeast?
And opinions on hop schedule?

Ok, I was torn between doing a dubbel and an ESB and thought the special B would be a nice touch for some plum raisen taste.
So the special B I really want to leave in.

So leave it in. You asked for suggestions/opinions and you got them. If you're looking for support for the Special-B addition you won't get it from me. I love Special-B and yes, you will often get a raisin-like note from it, however, while it's terrific and traditional in a Dubbel, I wouldn't use in an ESB.

Any suggestions about the yeast?
And opinions on hop schedule?

Both yeasts are fine. I like London 1028 myself and use it for my standard ale yeast.

The hop/boil schedule looks OK. I'd consider using a 90 minute boil. To me it just gives something extra on traditional UK ales. :mug:

Yeah. I know I might not get support for special B, though the book brewing great beers skows a few percent using it in ESBs. I've also seen a few using crystal 120L which seems to have similar dark fruit notes.

That's OK. I add some Munich Light and some Munich Dark to my ESB, and its not going to be found in the recipe books. I say make yourself happy.

My grain bill for 7.1 gallons at the start of the boil, and ~5.7 gallons to the fermenter:

Maris Otter Pale Ale, 10 lbs.
Briess Victory, 1 lb.
UK 60L Crystal, 0.75 lbs. (or US 60L Caramel)
UK Chocolate, 0.0625 lbs. (or US)
Avangard Munich Light, 0.75 lbs.
Avangard Munich Dark, 0.75 lbs.

Back