Erlenmeyer Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridarunner68

Reaction score
I live in the Tampa Bay area and does anyone know where I can buy these flasks for yeast starters. I don't want to wait to get one in the mail. Even if you do not live in this area, is there a brand name store that carries them? My local brew shop doesn't carry them. Thanks.

what local shop do you go to?

the only one i know if is Mr. Dunderbacks in the university mall.

is there a better one?

I have used rossi jugs, but I hate moving it from the pot to the jug. I rather just boil it in the same vessel as fermenting it.
I use jugs. just star san a funnel inside and out, star san the inside of the jug. pour the cooled(in the pan with a lid on) wort into the jug and cap with star san sprayed foil. Never had a problem yet, except for occasional blow off.

I have used rossi jugs, but I hate moving it from the pot to the jug. I rather just boil it in the same vessel as fermenting it.

I concur - I have several flasks like this and it so much easier to go from the stove directly into an ice-bath never having to open the top (I use one of those sponge stoppers).

Be sure to get the weight you put around the top of the flask so you can fill the water bath around it all the way up without the flask floating.

Go to Southern Brewing Supply, it's just east of I-275 on Busch Blvd, in the industrial complex behind Amscot (right side of the road heading east). Once you enter the complex, go to the last isle of buildings, hang a right, and go all the way to the back - it's the last warehouse on the left. There is no signage on the building but you'll see a bunch of shelving with big blue grain bins on the left inside - as well as a lot of other brewing supplies. The place can be a little intimidating at first as Brian, the owner, just got into the retail business, he's been doing wholesale supplies to microbreweries for 6 years or so and the LHBS is run out of his unmarked warehouse. Great place and great people though - they have something like 160 varieties of grain and always have hops on hand. Call ahead to make sure they have one on hand and go with at least a 2 liter, bigger would be better.

They're open until 6pm on weekdays and only open from like 8 - 2 on Saturday, closed Sundays.

1717 E Busch Blvd # 806
Tampa, FL 33612
888-999-Malt (6258)
[email protected]

Website - Welcome to Southern Brewing - just a cover page.

:mug:

If you can't find an erlenmeyer flask then pick up a one gallon jug at your LHBS. You can't boil in it but it's more than enough for a starter. I've used one many times with great success. Just make sure it has a flat bottom if you're using a stir plate.

My bad... you did say "propagator"... no I would not pitch that. I use activators...

My LBS which is about 30-40 miles away didn't have activators.

I just finished two yeast starters using Livingston jugs with a quart of wort each. I am using a sponge topper for one and foil for the other. I am planning to make a clover honey Irish red ale and a Belgian Whitbier on Saturday.

I haven't been making beer in about 1.5 years. Before that, I probably made close to 100 five gallon batches successfully. I always either pitched the White Labs tube or the old Wyeast gold packs. The last three I made 1.5 years ago, I started using yeast starters only to ease my nerves and paranoia with cleaniness. I usually fill up a 32 gallon trash can with water and one-step and soak everything in it until it's ready to use.

Go to Southern Brewing Supply, it's just east of I-275 on Busch Blvd, in the industrial complex behind Amscot (right side of the road heading east). Once you enter the complex, go to the last isle of buildings, hang a right, and go all the way to the back - it's the last warehouse on the left. There is no signage on the building but you'll see a bunch of shelving with big blue grain bins on the left inside - as well as a lot of other brewing supplies. The place can be a little intimidating at first as Brian, the owner, just got into the retail business, he's been doing wholesale supplies to microbreweries for 6 years or so and the LHBS is run out of his unmarked warehouse. Great place and great people though - they have something like 160 varieties of grain and always have hops on hand. Call ahead to make sure they have one on hand and go with at least a 2 liter, bigger would be better.

They're open until 6pm on weekdays and only open from like 8 - 2 on Saturday, closed Sundays.

1717 E Busch Blvd # 806
Tampa, FL 33612
888-999-Malt (6258)
[email protected]

Website - Welcome to Southern Brewing - just a cover page.

:mug:

I'll check them out on my next batch. What happened to BrewShack? I tried calling them today and the phone number is disconnected. I found a post on another website and they said the business is empty. The website is still up BREW SHACK - beer & wine making supplies.

My LBS which is about 30-40 miles away didn't have activators.

I just finished two yeast starters using Livingston jugs with a quart of wort each. I am using a sponge topper for one and foil for the other. I am planning to make a clover honey Irish red ale and a Belgian Whitbier on Saturday.

Another cool thing about the flasks is that they fit in the microwave; water boils in my microwave in about 2 minutes... which happens to be long enough to kill all the bugs in the sponge stoppers as well.

I'll check them out on my next batch. What happened to BrewShack? I tried calling them today and the phone number is disconnected. I found a post on another website and they said the business is empty. The website is still up BREW SHACK - beer & wine making supplies.

Yep, they closed. The were doing terrible business by the time I got into brewing; only went there a couple times as they never seemed to have anything in stock. Southern Brewing opened after the Shack closed to fill the new void for local brewers - they had been doing the wholesale thing for years, just decided to open it up for retail so we'd have a supplier. I was over there this afternoon and they have new hours :: Mon-Wed open until 4:30, Thurs-Fri open until 5:30, Sat open 10 - 2, closed Sunday.

Chris

Beer and Wine Pantry in Pinellas Park on 66th Street. If going south, right before the railroad tracks or right after the trailer park on the right.

Nice neighborhood:) on the other side of the train track across from the trailer park:D

Back