Erlenmeyer flask on induction cooktop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As well as some glassware from the Corning Pyrex Vista glassware lineup. Granted, I wasn't certain if any current Pyrex erlenmeyer flasks are soda-lime...but I never saw a borosilicate lab vessel crack with an open flame. Maybe the nature of the glass changed with whatever kitchen use it got...perhaps you're right about the years of use with an electrical range.

I wasn't aware that there was another line of soda-lime glassware, but Corning started licensing the Pyrex brand of kitchenware ages ago. The advantage to using soda-lime is its impact resistance (less likely to break if dropped), which actually is better in MOST kitchens as the typical household cook isn't putting it through so much thermal craziness. But with labware, in particular vessels that are used for heating, soda-lime would be pretty absurd.

Fry it! Put a little oil in the pan instead of water. Yeah it's a bit messy to deal with, but it is a much better heat conductor than water and you can heat it hotter

Fry it! Put a little oil in the pan instead of water. Yeah it's a bit messy to deal with, but it is a much better heat conductor than water and you can heat it hotter

Yeah that's all you really need... oil splashing up into your flask :p

This is a crazy but clever idea! Oil can withstand a whole lot more heat but getting oil all over the place sucks.

I ended up breaking out the stockpot, boiling it there and funneling into my flask. Oh well. Not the end of the world.

I found this as a potential option for anyone else in this same boat. I'm gunna save the 40 bucks and just transfer for now, but maybe this will be helpful to someone else. Induction disk:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213L3PK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Well It's just happened to me too !
my expensive 2 L lab flask went ping on my stove top burner .It was full of wort at room temperature and on a high flame I'd used it maybe ten times in the same way before and never had a problem .
now I dont trust this stove top business for my next flask I'm going to ask at the shop where I bought it if it can be used on a naked flame .
ps. like fretsforlife mine split around the bottom in a long ring I was very pissed off
Ian

iasquith said:
Well It's just happened to me too !
my expensive 2 L lab flask went ping on my stove top burner .It was full of wort at room temperature and on a high flame I'd used it maybe ten times in the same way before and never had a problem .
now I dont trust this stove top business for my next flask I'm going to ask at the shop where I bought it if it can be used on a naked flame .
ps. like fretsforlife mine split around the bottom in a long ring I was very pissed off
Ian

Pisses you off doesn't it? Sorry to hear about that man, i hope you were at least able to get the wort out like i was. I could never bring myself to buy another one. I just boil in a pot and then use a coffee pot for my starter since it has a flat enough bottom for the stir bar to spin. Better luck with your next flask.

Pisses you off doesn't it? Sorry to hear about that man, i hope you were at least able to get the wort out like i was. I could never bring myself to buy another one. I just boil in a pot and then use a coffee pot for my starter since it has a flat enough bottom for the stir bar to spin. Better luck with your next flask.

yeah I was able to get the wort out at least, i think i'll be boiling in a pan then sterilizing the flask(pre-filling) in future, a bit more messy but a lot safer\cheaper than replacing the glassware .

Back