Erdinger Weißbier style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erdinger has many different hefe-weizens:

Erdinger Hefe-Weizen
Erdinger Hefe-Weizen Non-Alcoholic
Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier
Erdinger Schneeweisse
Erdinger Weissbier
Erdinger Weissbier Alkoholfrei
Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel
Erdinger Weissbier Kristallklar
Erdinger Weissbier Leicht
Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus
Urweisse

i think that's all they make, actually...

More specifically:

BJCP said:

15A. Weizen/Weissbier

Aroma: Moderate to strong phenols (usually clove) and fruity esters (usually banana). The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Noble hop character ranges from low to none. A light to moderate wheat aroma (which might be perceived as bready or grainy) may be present but other malt characteristics should not. No diacetyl or DMS. Optional, but acceptable, aromatics can include a light, citrusy tartness, a light to moderate vanilla character, and/or a low bubblegum aroma. None of these optional characteristics should be high or dominant, but often can add to the complexity and balance.

Appearance: Pale straw to very dark gold in color. A very thick, moussy, long-lasting white head is characteristic. The high protein content of wheat impairs clarity in an unfiltered beer, although the level of haze is somewhat variable. A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking). The filtered Krystal version has no yeast and is brilliantly clear.

Flavor: Low to moderately strong banana and clove flavor. The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Optionally, a very light to moderate vanilla character and/or low bubblegum notes can accentuate the banana flavor, sweetness and roundness; neither should be dominant if present. The soft, somewhat bready or grainy flavor of wheat is complementary, as is a slightly sweet Pils malt character. Hop flavor is very low to none, and hop bitterness is very low to moderately low. A tart, citrusy character from yeast and high carbonation is often present. Well rounded, flavorful palate with a relatively dry finish. No diacetyl or DMS.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body; never heavy. Suspended yeast may increase the perception of body. The texture of wheat imparts the sensation of a fluffy, creamy fullness that may progress to a light, spritzy finish aided by high carbonation. Always effervescent.

Overall Impression: A pale, spicy, fruity, refreshing wheat-based ale.

Comments: These are refreshing, fast-maturing beers that are lightly hopped and show a unique banana-and-clove yeast character. These beers often don’t age well and are best enjoyed while young and fresh. The version “mit hefe” is served with yeast sediment stirred in; the krystal version is filtered for excellent clarity. Bottles with yeast are traditionally swirled or gently rolled prior to serving. The character of a krystal weizen is generally fruitier and less phenolic than that of the hefe-weizen.

History: A traditional wheat-based ale originating in Southern Germany that is a specialty for summer consumption, but generally produced year-round.

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.052
IBUs: 8 – 15 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 2 – 8 ABV: 4.3 – 5.6%

Commercial Examples: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Schneider Weisse Weizenhell, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, Plank Bavarian Hefeweizen, Ayinger Bräu Weisse, Ettaler Weissbier Hell, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Andechser Weissbier Hefetrüb, Kapuziner Weissbier, Erdinger Weissbier, Penn Weizen, Barrelhouse Hocking Hills HefeWeizen, Eisenbahn Weizenbier

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm spent.

Like grain?

So as Yuri posted, according to the bottom of the BJCP style guide they list Erdinger Weissbier.

Well, this bottle does not taste at all like a hefe and the store had a bottle right beside it called Erdinger Hefeweizen.

So I don't kow. I was just asking since this beer tastes like another style all together.

So this "noob" who has been brewing since 1992 and who's first forum was on a BBS in the 80's is just going throw up his hands in the air and walk away now.. :cool:

I have seen this beer at my favourite beer store. They always turn over stock quickly, including their imports. I'll try one and see what it tastes like.

If the one you had was old, Denny, it wouldn't surprise me if the ester/phenolic notes had faded.

Now you have me curious.... :)

I picked up a bottle of this beer this evening. The best before date stamped on the bottle was 08/2008, which I suspect means it is fairly fresh (for an import). Interestingly, my perception was similar to Denny's -- the characteristic banana and cloves aroma and flavour was largely absent in this beer. And although this was clearly a wheat beer, it was so mild and timid that it might be hard to peg it as a hefe-weizen.

When I first poured the beer, a thick white head formed, but quickly dissipated. Aroma was predominantly fruity esters, somewhat banana-like, but not overly so. There was a slight spiciness that faded quickly. No prominent aroma of cloves. The colour is straw to golden, slightly hazy. There is active carbonation in the glass, and the head faded very quickly with no lacing. The taste is sweet, almost honey-like, and somewhat malty. The flavour of the wheat comes through. Little characteristic phenolics (cloves, spiciness) on the palate. Very light hop bittering in the finish. Nothing particularly striking in the flavour profile overall -- somewhat disappointing for a hefe-weizen. This might be a good entry brew for BMC drinkers wanting to expand their beer horizons.

I woudl agree that the Erdinger Hefeweizen is not what you typically would expect of a Hefe. The Dunkelweizen is equally strange. It very dark. To the point where it is difficult to recognize that it is a wheat beer. Nothing like a Franziskaner or a Weinstephaner dunkelweizen.

It is a popular brew in the Nuremberg/Erlangen area of Bavaria though.

-Ron

I picked up a bottle of this beer this evening. The best before date stamped on the bottle was 08/2008, which I suspect means it is fairly fresh (for an import). Interestingly, my perception was similar to Denny's -- the characteristic banana and cloves aroma and flavour was largely absent in this beer. And although this was clearly a wheat beer, it was so mild and timid that it might be hard to peg it as a hefe-weizen.

When I first poured the beer, a thick white head formed, but quickly dissipated. Aroma was predominantly fruity esters, somewhat banana-like, but not overly so. There was a slight spiciness that faded quickly. No prominent aroma of cloves. The colour is straw to golden, slightly hazy. There is active carbonation in the glass, and the head faded very quickly with no lacing. The taste is sweet, almost honey-like, and somewhat malty. The flavour of the wheat comes through. Little characteristic phenolics (cloves, spiciness) on the palate. Very light hop bittering in the finish. Nothing particularly striking in the flavour profile overall -- somewhat disappointing for a hefe-weizen. This might be a good entry brew for BMC drinkers wanting to expand their beer horizons.

I totally agree with you on this beer. It is a Hefe that people who don't love traditional Hefeweizens like. It is more phenolic than estery.

I am near Washington Dulles Airport. There is a German military facility there. We had one of the Army guys rent in our neighborhood for a few years. His ONLY beer was this beer. I got very familiar with it. He used to get it for me for 1 dollar a bottle. It was always very fresh. The stuff you get in most stores isn't always that fresh, infact, I've not tasted a fresh Erdinger since I was in Germany visiting this person. Like a lot of beer imported here, by the time we get it, it has been abused and has oxidized.

A fresh Erdinger Hefe is so carbonated that you have to fill the correct Hefe glass with water first to rinse it, then you have to poor slowly or you will not get it all into the glass. The head should rise above the top of the glass an inch or more, a few brown spot should be on top of the head from the yeast. Of course it is an improper pour if you do not get ALL of the yeast out of the bottle into the glass.

It is popular all over Germany as I have proven with two visits. Each trip my buddy, his wife and I went cruising the countryside doing the tourist thing (in reality we were only stopping at places where Erdinger was sold and we found it everywhere) He is from the town that Erdinger is made in and he was shocked to see that it was being sold all over Germany when his tour of duty was up in the USA.

I don't really drink it all that much anymore. My tastes have changed with all of the amazing beers we produce here in the USA now. Every now and then, I grab an Erdinger at a new German place that opened up near my town.

I got into home brew to clone this beer. Not that I want to have 10 gallons of it around, but at this point it is just the principal of the thing. I just finished some BJCP test training and some of what I got from it has rejuvenated my interest in cloning this beer. I got Beer Alchemy running on another screen and am putting together a recipe to attempt another try at it.

That's how I ended up here, googling this beer.

Cheers,

I had the Weissbeir on Sunday. A friend of mine had a couple in his fridge. They are bottle fermented so the yeast sediment was in the bottle bottom. I thought it tasted fine. My wife liked it more than I did tho. I hate the banana flavor and this did not have so much of it, though it was fruity, and this made it drinkable for me. But it was rather unremarkable as a beer in general. I would not buy it for myself

Uh.. I am talking about the non-banana/clove etc like flavor contrary to the "comments" section.

If it wasn't for the yeast cloud and Austrian origin I'd almost swear this was an american wheat beer.
Last time I checked Erding was still in Germany...;)

You probably had an Erdinger Hefe Weizen and thought you had something else...got a picture of the label?

There are 4 different subtypes of Weissbier in Germany:
- neutral (the ones that taste more like American Wheat)
- phenolic (clove dominates)
- estery (here you get the fruit)
- yeasty (aroma is dominated by a yeasty note)

Erdinger Weissbier seems to fall into the 1st category. I haven’t had a fresh one in a while, but this is one of the more popular ones over there and I wouldn’t be surprised that its neutral taste/aroma is the reason. Being a big brewery and the absence of many of the typical fermentation byproducts indicates to me that they ferment in tall conicals. The pressure during fermentation keeps the esters low.

BTW, the Weihenstephan Weissbier is in the phenoloic category. I don’t know examples for the 2 other categories.

Kai

There are 4 different subtypes of Weissbier in Germany:
- neutral (the ones that taste more like American Wheat)
- phenolic (clove dominates)
- estery (here you get the fruit)
- yeasty (aroma is dominated by a yeasty note)

Erdinger Weissbier seems to fall into the 1st category. I haven’t had a fresh one in a while, but this is one of the more popular ones over there and I wouldn’t be surprised that its neutral taste/aroma is the reason. Being a big brewery and the absence of many of the typical fermentation byproducts indicates to me that they ferment in tall conicals. The pressure during fermentation keeps the esters low.

BTW, the Weihenstephan Weissbier is in the phenoloic category. I don’t know examples for the 2 other categories.

Kai
Roth Weissbier from Schweinfurt and Bamberger Weiss from Maisel's are more sweet than fruity.

I've been to the Erdinger Brewery and it still a Hefe Wheat beer made with over 50% wheat malt with the rest pils malt and Hallertauer hops.

Erdinger Mit feiner Hefe
blankpix.gif
hefe.jpg

Das Premium-Weißbier der Spitzenklasse

Nicht nur im Rahmen des Erdinger-Sortiments gilt Erdinger Weißbier mit feiner Hefe unbestritten als der Klassiker, als das Weißbier schlechthin.

Es wird mit feiner Hefe nach einem überlieferten Rezept und natürlich streng nach dem Bayerischen Reinheitsgebot gebraut. Heute noch wird hier nicht auf die traditionelle Flaschengärung verzichtet: Drei bis vier Wochen dauert es, bis das Erdinger Weißbier mit feiner Hefe gereift ist.

Zur Herstellung werden nur feinste Rohstoffe verwendet. Langjährige Erfahrung und ständige Qualitätskontrollen garantieren darüber hinaus den unverwechselbaren Geschmack.

Ein Weißbier für alle, die den unvergeßlichen guten Geschmack lieben.

Produktinformationen
blankpix.gif
Alkohol 5,3 % vol
Stammwürze 12,4 °P Kcal / KJoule 44 / 185 pro 100 ml

Sorry for bringing up this old post. I searched for Erdinger because I fell in love with Erdinger Weißbier when staying in Erding on holiday several years ago. From breakfast to bedtime I was swilling one of these and they really grew on me!!

Does anyone know if this beer is still imported to the United States? If it is still imported I will want to have my local beer store order some for me.

EdWort, I'm glad you got to visit the brewery, they have some nice German food at their restaurant!

Latest posts

Back