Equipment Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
Ok, fellas I think I am ready to attempt my first all-grain batch. I have built all of my equipment, read the complete joy of homebrewing 3 times, and had many conversations with friends that are much more advanced brewers that I. Could you guys take a look at my homemade wort chiller and mash tun and tell me what you think. Also please let me know if I am missing anything from the following list. Thanks!

1. 1 30qt brew pot stainless
2. 1 24qt brew pot stainless
3. 1 10 gallon cooler/mash tun
4. 1 copper wort chiller
5. 1 propane burner
6. 1 glass carboy
7. 1 food grade 7gl bucket

100_0139.jpg

100_0141.jpg

100_0142.jpg

What did you make your manifold out of in the mashtun?

EDIT: The reason I ask is that if that is regular PVC, it might not be safe for you. From what I have read, this can leach nastiness into your water (tastewise as well as healthwise). Plus, PVC isn't really capable of handling the heat of the mash temp from what I have read. If it's CPVC and not just regular PVC, then you are probably OK. I have no info on whether the (vinyl?) fittings you have for the drain on the tun will withstand the temps and/or lead to flavor or health issues.

The chiller looks really nice.

I would be a little concerned about the size of your kettle (7.5gallon). I usually have about that much wort at the start of my boil, so you would have very little room for the boil to foam up for a hot break. I suspect some boil-overs will occur.

I'd say a 10 gal for boiling and a 5 for sparging, especially if you're doing batch sparging. I've never needed to do more than 3 gallons (X2 batches) for sparge, but I've pushed the 10 gal to the brim (6 gal batches with a 90 min boil and a high evaporation rate in Colorado).

IMO if that is your Boil Kettle in the background your chiller looks kinda big... Will the top coil(s) be submerged? The diameter looks like it is very close the the same as the BK which may not be a problem, but I think most are about 2/3 the diameter or so? I wouldn't make any changes until you have a chance to give it a try... if your chill time is too long, you might think about it.

Good luck.

Ed

Back