Equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydelta34

Reaction score
Hello, I am still a beginning brewer but I am totally new to kegging.

I recently was able to purchase a large quantity of corny kegs and two CO2 tanks each with dual regulators. I had contemplated selling one of the CO2 tank setups but before I do that I wanted to consider all my options.

My question is: Is there any benefit to having two CO2 tanks in my possession for anything other than the obvious - being able to replace an empty tank immediately. Can that second CO2 tank be doing anything other than sitting ready for backup? I dont have an extra fridge available to run a second keg setup.

Thanks.

Well, I only have one. But I would love to have an extra. Besides the obvious, there are some other uses. For example, when I clean and sanitize a keg, I push the cleaner and then the sanitizer through with co2. In order to do that, I have to unhook it from the kegerator and haul the co2 tank and regularator out to the kitchen and do that. I also seal the keg up with co2 after I fill it. If that one is just being put into the keg to age a bit and not go on tap right away, I have to disconnect the gas from the kegs in the kegerator, and hook up the new keg and put co2 in it. Then, check the lid, purge, and reseal. Then unhook it and put it back on the kegs in the fridge. Another set up would be great!

I would also use another set up for taking places, like to parties. I could leave the kegerator alone, and just take the extra set up and a keg.

You can also use co2 to assist with racking from carboys to carboys and to the keg. You can purge the headspace of the secondary with a co2 tank.

So, if it was me, I'd keep that second set up!

Hell yeah,keep that second tank!!You'll find many uses for it,even non brewing applications.My next upgrade will probly another tank/regulator,mostly for portability.
Cheers:mug:

I keep one in my basement where I normally rack beer from carboys to cornies. That way I can purge the O2 out. It would be nice if one of the tanks was smaller so it can double as your mobile rig. I'm considering trading one of my 20lb tanks for a 5lb for that very reason. The last advantage obviously is having an extra for when the primary unexpectedly runs out.

I know a guy who uses an extra to carb his beer at room temp, i think he said 18 psi or so, im not sure how well that works. if it were the case that worked well i would lvoe to have an extra tank. It sucks when you have a two keg setup and they both blow wihting a week of eachother.

Thanks for the great advice, that was quick! I am definetly going to hang onto that tank.

That second tank would be nice to purge kegs when racking, pushing sanitizer, backup for when the main runs out, and carbing brews outside the keggerator! Keep!

sirsloop said:
That second tank would be nice to purge kegs when racking, pushing sanitizer, backup for when the main runs out, and carbing brews outside the keggerator! Keep!
Could you please explain purging kegs when racking? Thanks for the advice.

skydelta34 said:
Could you please explain purging kegs when racking? Thanks for the advice.

Pump 20-30psi into the keg. And pull the preasure release valve. Do that one or two times more and when you go to rack into the keg it is has CO2 in it rather than O2.

HarvInSTL said:
Pump 20-30psi into the keg. And pull the preasure release valve. Do that one or two times more and when you go to rack into the keg it is has CO2 in it rather than O2.
Wouldnt the CO2 be displaced when you open again after purging to rack?

Well, co2 is heavier than air so it will stay in the keg even with the top off. Yes, it will be displaced as beer flows in, but it will stay out of contact with O2 which is ideal. Keep in mind that we're really going overboard here but if you have the spare tank, might as well use it. Also, when I'm racking into a clean keg, I fill with sanitizer, shake, let sit, then pressurize the keg and dispense the sanitizer through the dip tube and out the valve. This is a decent way to sanitize between beers without breaking everything down every time. There are different opinions of this however.

Back