Equipment for starting out with a small batch of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobiasf

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make something with the fruit we grow as it ends up being more than we can eat fresh and some gets frozen or dehydrated every year. It's mostly blueberries and raspberries, but also some pears and maybe a few peaches if they don't rot like they tend to.

We made kombucha in the past and I'm wondering if I can use what I already have to make a small batch to see how it goes and if we like the result. We have some half gallon mason jars I'm considering using as primary fermentation vessels as we have two types of airlocks for them; the ones that use water and silicon ones. Then we have 4 1L swing lock style bottles, but they are clear glass. I know this isn't ideal but it wouldn't be my intention to age anything very long, at least not at first. What I'm worried about though is transferring to the 1L bottles once fermentation has stopped. I guess I need an auto-siphon? Since I'm using fruit there will be a lot of sediment and from what I understand trying to strain/pour introduces oxygen which can negatively affect the flavor.

Other than an auto-siphon is there anything else I might need? Or any other suggestions?
I think we have about 4 quarts of raspberries in the freezer from last year and the fruit in the yard is starting to ripen.

Welcome aboard!
I haven't made wine, but I have fermented cider. I already had a siphon from beer brewing. I fermented in large clear wine jugs, about five quart capacity. I didn't worry about sunlight as much as I do with beer as there were no hops. But if I use a clear fermenter like a carboy, i just put it in the basement or cover it with a shopping bag.
When I learned to brew I started with kits and then bought a book on brewing. I suggest that you find a basic guide on wine making. Study and practice will yield good results. Keep us posted, good luck.

Welcome aboard!
I haven't made wine, but I have fermented cider. I already had a siphon from beer brewing. I fermented in large clear wine jugs, about five quart capacity. I didn't worry about sunlight as much as I do with beer as there were no hops. But if I use a clear fermenter like a carboy, i just put it in the basement or cover it with a shopping bag.
When I learned to brew I started with kits and then bought a book on brewing. I suggest that you find a basic guide on wine making. Study and practice will yield good results. Keep us posted, good luck.
I'd thought to get something started soon but I'm realizing I might have to wait until fall. We've been having really high temperatures and in the house it's like 78-80F. I also wanted to try some of the rice wine from the megathread here but I guess it needs to be around 65F after the first couple days. I don't know how I could manage that right now.

I have to look into fermenting temperatures for wine yeasts.

Back