Equipment for electric brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about main to electric and I'm looking for something that would be super simple. My current setup is a 72qt cooler with a SS braid and a 7.5gallon turkey fryer. No pumps. Single infusion, batch sparge.
I have a basement room that has a floor drain and a window I can vent steam through. I plan on making a DIY hood vent for brew days to minimize humidity.
Mainly I'm looking to make an electric boil kettle and an electric HLT. I would be fine with manual dial type temperature control. I plan on mashing in the cooler still.

Super simple, how about two elements on 110v GFI circuits...
something like this perhaps...with smaller elements a controller becomes less relevant IME, just be sure to have enough kettle to contain the boil.

The HLT could be one element connected to a timer to avoid waiting...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap and simple sounds good to me. Does the kit come with instructions?

Just one idea though... the use of one PID and two SSRs (assuming two 20a circuits) makes it so you don't have to sit there and watch the thermometer for strike/sparge heating. I'm not saying you can't do it fully manually but it's a very incremental additional cost to automate the temperature ramp and hold. The PID also performs the manual control function that the still dragon kit has. You can build a PID, two SSR control box for under $150.

I have one ssr and one PID that's has worked so far. Bottom switch turns power to PID. Top toggle is a three way that switches between two 120v contractors that chooses whether I want MLT or boil kettle. Also, just one temp sensor, which has also worked so far.
I'd have to look up the price so far but I know it's cheaper than hoses and fittings!!!!

image-3477203633.jpg

I'm moving soon and brewing indoors would be amazing. To a complete noob, with that stilldragon kit what else would you need to be up and running? I was under the impression for Electric brewing you have to spend hundreds or more.

Still Dragon kit, kettle with electric element (Bobby has an amazing TC system for a removable element), 240VAC GFCI breaker and wire. It is more expensive than a turkey fryer, but it is a lot more convenient and quiet once you get it set up.

Back