Equipment Cleaning/Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike7431

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

For my first few batches I have made sure to take cleaning and sanitizing my equipment very seriously. I have been cleaning my equipment with PBW and sanitizing with Star San before brewing/bottling and then cleaning the equipment again after I'm finished. However, with this method I have been clearing through PBW like nobody's business. And, as you all know, that stuff isn't cheap.

If I clean my equipment really well after brewing and keep them stored away from dirt or dust could I just rinse the equipment off and sanitize before brewing? Or should I keep cleaning before and after?

Also, could I possibly reuse star san a few times or do I need to throw it out after each use. I hate making a new batch of sanitizing solution every time I brew, rack into a secondary, and bottle.

Any advice on these questions or any other tips on how to save money while still keeping my equipment effectively clean and sanitized would be greatly appreciated!

Star san lasts a couple of months, you just gotta make sure the ph doesnt go up too much, otherwise it stops working. You can use something cheaper to clean your equipment, I use oxiclean and it works really well, even takes the labels off so they look more legit.
According to every homebrewer in this world (except for me cause I dont have it) star san is the best way to sanitize but I have understood that It lasts forever if you bought the big bottle. I just put the bottles in the oven and sanatize it there lol.
You should always clean your bottles, specially before using them. What Id advise you to do is to rinse the bottle once you finish drinking, and a couple of days before bottling day, rinse them all in pbw or oxiclean and sanatize them.
You could also use bleach but you have to be careful because you dont want that anywhere near your beer

I use the unscented oxiclean for cleaning and get it for $7 or $8. I think the lid is green and it's called oxiclean free.

Honestly, anything that gets your equipment clean will work. I use dish soap (dawn) for most of my equipment and then oxyclean or pbw for things that need to soak like tubing or racking canes. As long as it's clean and rinsed, it doesn't matter what you use to get there- you can sanitize anything that's clean.

I make 5-gallon batches of PBW and StarSan and reuse it until it starts to look bad. I can get a few brews out of them then make a new batch.

Latest posts

Back