Equipment and beer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I recently bought a coleman 70 quart cooler and converted it into a mash tun. I outfitted it with a stainless valve and all parts stainless and NSF gaskets with a copper manifold. I have been tinkering with beer smith setting up equipment profiles. I have been trying to figure out what my dead space is. Is there anyone on home brew talk who has built something similar. What are you using for dead space volume

The only person who can figure that out is you.

Put a measured gallon (or two) of water in the Tun and then drain (or pump) it into a measured container as per your standard procedure - hoses, pump, et all. The difference between the two volumes (starting volume - collected volume)is your deadspace.

Example:

You fill with 2g of water. (SV = 2.00) you connect your pumps and hoses and drain to your "boil pot." When done you have 1.5g of water in your boil pot, so...

2.0 - 1.5 = 0.5 (deadspace)

Back