Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NHL "return to play" plan is out. Straight to the playoffs, 24 teams.
Bruins take it in the short pants as the best record in the league doesn't mean what it normally would, but whatareyagonnado?
Also, I need to find a better written article because from this one it looks like finishing first carries zero seeding weight, which definitely isn't right...

Cheers!

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/...ayoff-format-details-its-return-to-play-plan/

Hockey twitter was amusing last night after the draft lottery results, with "Placeholder E" winning the #1 pick.

So the eight teams that are officially in (Boston, Tampa, Washington, Philly, St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas, and Dallas) can't get the first overall pick, and neither can the seven teams that are officially out (Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, NJ, LA, and Anaheim. SJ already pulled themselves out of contention by sending their first to Ottawa in the Karlsson deal).

Of the eligible sixteen teams, it could go to:

- Pittsburgh, who finished seventh overall in the league
- Arizona, which would really cement Taylor Hall's reputation as the "Lottery Whisperer"
- Toronto, who a lot of people think the league rigs things in their favor, despite having done nothing of substance in 50+ years. Carolina does technically hold this pick as a result of the Marleau buyout, but it is lottery protected
- Edmonton, because what's one more after Hall, the Nuge, and McJesus. I'll include Yakopov for completeness, but man, what a whiff that was

At least this will give the sportswriters something to chew on until the puck actually drops... whenever the heck that is.

Last edited:
At least this will give the sportswriters something to chew on until the puck actually drops... whenever the heck that is.
August 1st! Schedules are up for Edmonton and Toronto! 6 games per day during the qualifiers.

I should take the month off.

9:00 AM Pacific... we finally find out what Seattle's team will be named.

Seattle Kraken or bust!

Edn4Zn1XoAA9NR-

I'm not sure how I feel about the Kraken...sounds like a minor league or a soccer team name to me

Oh well, Hockey is finally back on TV. Lets go Predators!!!

Edmonton getting dummied by Chicago right now. Won't be surprised if Smith is on the bench to start the second.

Gotta say, haven't gotten into any pro sports to this point never was a basketball fan, the Red Sox blow chunks right now, and football hasn't started...but I'm starting to get interested in the Bruins. They had a big 3rd period come-back from 0-2 to 4-2 after a huge McAvoy hit on Jordan Staal got the B's excited and the 'Canes back on their heels.

So, the Bruins are now up 3-1 and have the Big Mo' on their side...

Cheers!

Woof! Bruins had this game under control pretty much from the jump - up 3-0 with 6 minutes left in the third.
Then TB made it interesting, but B's managed to hang on for a 3-2 win.
Technically an away game for Boston. Not sure that means anything this year though...

Cheers!

Ugh. TB was a tough nut through three innings, certainly had the edge in spite of the regulation tie score.
But then they totally swarmed the Bruins in OT for the win.

1-1.

I was hoping that Philly knocks off TB in the semis, but it looks like NYI are going to 90's Devils their way to the finals this year. Bleargh.

Also thought Colorado was coming out of the west, but that don't look like it's happening either.

Islanders fans were all full of salt after JT said "fuqqit, I'm going home" so they'll get more insufferable about it the further they go into the postseason.

While I'm here... dafuq did you guys do to JVR? Granted, the guy is a one-trick pony, but it's a really good trick.

Ugh...Can't recall a total collapse by the Bruins like this, but it is what it is.
Congrats and good luck to the Lightning.
I can only hope the 2021 season isn't so effed up as this one was...

Yea sorry trippr I know your a Bruins fan, but its good for Lightning fans to see them get to the conference finals after last years debacle......

John

Wow. Islanders advance to the finals. I'm kind of amazed. I was at a playoff game last time this happened. (1993)
I'm unlikely to attend any this year.
Props to the Flyers for taking it to seven games.

Wow. Islanders advance to the finals. I'm kind of amazed. I was at a playoff game last time this happened. (1993)
I'm unlikely to attend any this year.
Props to the Flyers for taking it to seven games.

Islanders looked super dominant the whole series. Great offense, really strong PP. We'll see Monday how that matches the Lightnings defense.

That didn't go too well.
The only bright side for NY is that the Lightning wastefully squandered all those goals in one game. They should have saved some for later!

That didn't go too well.
The only bright side for NY is that the Lightning wastefully squandered all those goals in one game. They should have saved some for later!

Quoted for posterity. We'll just have to see what happens later ;)

Also, note that they really turned down the effort in the 3rd period. There was a 5 on 3 where TB didn't even put in their PP line. I guess they were saving a few goals for later there.

Back