Epiphanies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like to stir the pot. And get feedback from my fellow homebrewers. 5 years into this hobby/obsession, and I'm still all giddy every brewday for what I am about to create, be it something stellar or worthy of burial at sea. Not to mention a hobby that is solely mine, from recipe creation to final product (yes the husband helps in consumption but has no interest in brewing himself). Every once in a while, out here in my brewery/woman cave, I have deep thoughts (and more often, very shallow ones). I'm in late middle-age, mid-fifties, so I have a lot of years to look back on. I was not good in school, being very self-conscious about my looks and with low self-esteem from same, and didn't go to college; but my interests since then have been history, engineering, biology, chemistry, math, and physics. My profession requires a LOT of math, and to a certain degree spatial relationships (I'm a dispatcher for a trucking company).

TL;DR...but sitting out here today delaying the cleaning from this morning's brewday, I did have a deep thought. Homebrewing combines my favorite things; as mentioned above, chemistry, engineering, biology, physics, math, and history. It flattens me that most of the brewers before the industrial revolution were women, because it was considered part of the cooking/preserving chore. Maybe that's why I've stuck with it so long. Or....it could be that I love beer. So, my question to you all; what epiphanies have you had about homebrewing, be it your own, or what you may have read/heard/watched?

epiphany? that's like a ah-ha moment right?

let's see, when i was 18 my mom got me a homebrew kit...and just like bender in whatever episode of futurama it was. "You can MAKE beer?!?"

sparge slow, get a good crush, just because a jet engine burner sounds cool, adjust the damn air flow so that it's not wasting propane, etc etc....trying to remember 20 years back is hard!

my most recent proud brewing epiphany, was learning how to malt my own barley, that was back in 2016....

not sure if that's the answer you were looking for?

i brew because it's something i can compete on price about. unlike OTHER substances.....

epiphany? that's like a ah-ha moment right?

let's see, when i was 18 my mom got me a homebrew kit...and just like bender in whatever episode of futurama it was. "You can MAKE beer?!?"

sparge slow, get a good crush, just because a jet engine burner sounds cool, adjust the damn air flow so that it's not wasting propane, etc etc....trying to remember 20 years back is hard!

my most recent proud brewing epiphany, was learning how to malt my own barley, that was back in 2016....

not sure if that's the answer you were looking for?

i brew because it's something i can compete on price about. unlike OTHER substances.....
Pretty exactly what I was looking for. Knew I could count on you buddy!

I spent several years wanting to get into home brewing but never felt I had time time. Then I got divorced and really thought never had time. I remarried and my wife got me a Mr. Beer kit last Christmas. Down the slope I went pretty hard.

Like you, brewing combines some of my favorite things, math, chemistry, cooking and beer. The Mr Beer kits were used up and I went to partial mash and quickly to BIAB all grain. My real epiphany was what a good thing brewing is for my mental health. I don’t sit still well and brewing forces me to take several hours to do something fun and unplug from work and everything else.

I spent several years wanting to get into home brewing but never felt I had time time. Then I got divorced and really thought never had time. I remarried and my wife got me a Mr. Beer kit last Christmas. Down the slope I went pretty hard.

Like you, brewing combines some of my favorite things, math, chemistry, cooking and beer. The Mr Beer kits were used up and I went to partial mash and quickly to BIAB all grain. My real epiphany was what a good thing brewing is for my mental health. I don’t sit still well and brewing forces me to take several hours to do something fun and unplug from work and everything else.
If I had spent more time on my initial post, what you just said is something I should have mentioned as well. When I'm brewing that's what I'm thinking about; not work, not financial issues, not family issues, just the task at hand. And it gives me time to focus on something I really love rather than something I "have" to do. Very apt, thank you.

the epiphany I had years ago in relation to brewing, outside of temp control and sanitation, its really hard to make a bad beer.
I agree whole-heartedly, but the corralary epiphany is also true: it's really hard to make really good beer.

For me it has been a 25 year pursuit of not just making "not bad" beer, but perfecting methods and practices to make each beer better than the last one.

So always liked beer and the science behind making it, but I was not really versed in how many styles were out there so when I started making beer I realized that not only could I make any style but I could also make whatever I want! Most styles tried in the beginning were styles I never had before, I used to go into the LHBS And just pick a kit that looked tasty and take it home and brew it up.

If you can be 5 years into a pastime and it remains as bright and shiny as it was the first day, you have hit the mother lode.

I also enjoy the science behind brewing and all the moving parts of the process. It's far more than just putting stuff together. Every brew day is something I look forward to. Even bottling is fun, knowing that I will end up with a couple cases of (hopefully) good beer. And I get to drink it--what could be better?

Similar to Daddyd's ephiphany, but I realized to just "quit sweating the small stuff." Like he said, you really have to mess up to make bad beer. I'm still careful with cleanliness and sanitation, but I don't obsess any more. Heck, last night I kegged my new NEIPA and didn't presoak the equipment in Starsans!!! Pretty sure beer is going to be great!

NOTE: I'm still pretty obsessive about cleanup after brewing - I don't let equipment sit around but clean it immediately.

I was not good in school, being very self-conscious about my looks and with low self-esteem from same, and didn't go to college; but my interests since then have been history, engineering, biology, chemistry, math, and physics.

Just for the sake of interest, I was exactly the opposite. I was obsessively good in school, was given the opportunities to stay in college till I was 29, got degrees in chemistry, biology and finally medicine ... and we both ended up in exactly the same hobby. :)

I think my epiphany was that I'm really picky about the beer that I drink. And going along that vein, just because a professional craft brewery made it, doesn't mean it's a good beer. There's a lot of bad beers out there at the commercial level. Now if only I could consistently brew beers that I thought were truly good I'd be set :D

My epiphany may sound silly to some but I have a skill that I will be able to teach my three kids that is something they can use in life. My parents weren’t very hands on both worked and my old man wasn’t exactly handy so as far as building things or fixing things I won’t be able to help them.

But brewing and fermenting food/drink…I believe is a good skill to have.

Early on I decided to brew beers I wanted to drink. Not what the current trend said was the thing to brew. Or what other people wanted to drink. I brewed what I wanted to drink. If others didn't want to try it, F them.

I brewed two extract kits at the start, then started making my own recipes and went all grain. I've done the BIAB (nylon mesh at the time), cooler mash tun, keggles, and now Spike+ kettles. Every gear change has been an upgrade IMO. Getting great beer ever since going all grain. For me, going all grain was a very easy decision. Complete recipe ingredient control was one of the driving factors. Add to that how you can brew for lower cost, especially when you buy sacks of base malt (for those not malting their own barley).

I use software for the recipe creation since it makes it easier on me. That's been one of the driving forces for my setup changes. It either needs to make brewing easier for me, give me better beer in the end, or both. I'm still getting used to the new brewing setup, but yesterday was probably the fastest session so far. About six hours from filling the MT and HLT to mostly cleaned up. Only have the BK and plate chiller left. Those will be taken care of soon enough.

I took a ~5 year break from brewing. Things got in the way between moving twice and then the heart attack, it wasn't high on my list. Then my nephew wanted to brew. Ok, pull out the gear, get things finished (brew stand wasn't complete) and start brewing. I told him that were were brewing all grain, with my recipes. Not a problem. Every batch someone else has tried has been a hit. Even first version of brews (never made a stout before my chocolate stout, went damned fast). We also made two batches of cider last season. Also big hits. I'll be making another batch as soon as cider comes available (in the amount I need).

Now, every brew day I bring the spent grain to a woman a few houses away for her chickens. I get fresh eggs in exchange. So not only am I NOT throwing the grain out anymore (never sat well with me) but I'm getting something I would have bought, for free. I also give her some cans of what I have, especially if it's a new recipe.

One thing that keeps cropping up. No matter what you think of your current hardware set, or how many things you have (like fermenters) pretty soon you're going to want/need more. I figured two conical fermenters would be good until I move (next year now due to stupid housing market). Yeah, looks like I'll be getting #3 fairly soon. Plus needing to change the glycol chiller to one that can handle four fermenters instead of just two. Good thing my day job pays pretty well.

LOL :mug: you should try it though!
Maybe after I've moved. But I'd need to get the barley shipped over from the UK, since that's what I'm using (for most of my malts). I don't have the free time (currently) to devote to that as well. Especially since I want to pick knife making/forging up again (also post move). My place is really too farking small to do everything I want. I'm hoping to sell the kegmenters I'm not using to free up some more space. After that I'll either need to get a storage unit, or toss things out, to get the space I need for at least one more conical. Batches that are 2-3 weeks before yeast harvest, then 3+ weeks on oak (cubes, or spirals) keep that one out of rotation. If I then want to make a batch of cider, or mead, then I'm in trouble if a keg starts getting low. As we know, it's all about the almighty pipeline. May yours always be long and wide. 😲

As we know, it's all about the almighty pipeline. May yours always be long and wide. 😲

yeah, well....about that, i had an epiphany about that.....if i'm pulling 60% off 12% wash....let it go till it's 50% at least....i only got a band-aid 5% hard lemon-aid out of it...was hoping for 8%, oh well....

I am an engineer, I work in a big company where we do amazing stuff. But the epiphany is that I realized some time ago that I love handy work. That's why I cook, then I became a master baker, then moved to brewer (not a master yet) and then to woodworking. I brew because I love beer (who doesn't) but it's more about the journey than the destination. I work a lot, have a lovely family with 3 small children so time for brewing (or doing anything for that matter) is scarce, so I really enjoy the time that I have to do these things.

The epiphany I had was while sitting with a group of brewer's one asked my friend, who is the best brewer I've ever known, why he wins so many metals. Rich looked at him and said "It's the water stupid". Ta-da! I got an RO system.

I had the same epiphany. When I first started brewing I used my well water which tasted fine on it's own. My beer during my first year of brewing was ok but always seemed slightly off. I went to distilled water for a couple years (with additions of course) and now brew with RO. Beer is great and always consistent.

I had the same epiphany. When I first started brewing I used my well water which tasted fine on it's own. My beer during my first year of brewing was ok but always seemed slightly off. I went to distilled water for a couple years (with additions of course) and now brew with RO. Beer is great and always consistent.
That's why we get our water tested. ;)
I had a test done when I moved to where I'm living now (within a couple of months of moving in). I had another test done recently (within the past month). This time I had water tested running through two different filter elements. The first test done (years back) was right from the faucet. The test results let me decide which filter to use (went with the carbon filter). For some recipes I might add some minerals into it to help the recipe, but for the majority, the water is perfect for what I'm brewing.

For reference, I'm on a well. The water did change from when it was tested originally to now. I plan to get it tested again once the snow is coming down to see how it's changed for the winter. I might get it tested in the spring as well. That will give me three data points for the year to use in brewing. I'll do the same thing when I've moved next (should be the last time I move). Probably have a test done for each of the four seasons post move. Then maybe every year or two I'll have a single test done.

Epiphany? I don't think my brews deserve to be associated with that word, Haha :)

All I can say is when all the bits of info about brewing start to organize themselves in your head, it's a big step. Do you remember when fermentation started to make sense? Or when you could conceptualize mashing on your own? Those were big steps for me, and allowed me to just wake up and make a simple brew without a cram session to get ready.

That's why we get our water tested. ;)
I had a test done when I moved to where I'm living now (within a couple of months of moving in). I had another test done recently (within the past month). This time I had water tested running through two different filter elements. The first test done (years back) was right from the faucet. The test results let me decide which filter to use (went with the carbon filter). For some recipes I might add some minerals into it to help the recipe, but for the majority, the water is perfect for what I'm brewing.

For reference, I'm on a well. The water did change from when it was tested originally to now. I plan to get it tested again once the snow is coming down to see how it's changed for the winter. I might get it tested in the spring as well. That will give me three data points for the year to use in brewing. I'll do the same thing when I've moved next (should be the last time I move). Probably have a test done for each of the four seasons post move. Then maybe every year or two I'll have a single test done.
That's the kicker, I did get it tested with ward labs but something was still off. We clearly had iron in our water, as indicated by the sediment filter, but the test came back with >0.01ppm. I adjusted my water profile accordingly to the results of my water test but still wasn't pleased. I'll never know the true cause now that I moved out of that house, but I have an RO system now so it's been smooth sailing.

Mine came when I was at a brewery with my wife and she commented that there was nothing in her flight that was as good as what I brew. The epiphany has two parts: Not all pros brew quality beer and brewing quality beer isn't hard if you take the time to learn how.

So many people don't take the time to read, learn and improve. I'm always amazed when I walk into a micro brewery, try the beer and am disappointed. If you're going to invest the kind of time and money it takes to build a brewery, why wouldn't you spend the time to learn how to make it great?

My theory is that many of them were opened to take advantage of the craft beer boom in an attempt to make money off of the craze.

That's another epiphany: Just like playing guitar in a working band, it's easy to put all your income/savings back into the equipment.

I am an engineer, I work in a big company where we do amazing stuff. But the epiphany is that I realized some time ago that I love handy work. That's why I cook, then I became a master baker, then moved to brewer (not a master yet) and then to woodworking. I brew because I love beer (who doesn't) but it's more about the journey than the destination. I work a lot, have a lovely family with 3 small children so time for brewing (or doing anything for that matter) is scarce, so I really enjoy the time that I have to do these things.

I am a software engineer by trade. I find I am attracted to hobbies where I can put aside the tech gear, get off my butt, and use my hands...gardening (more the design/landscaping/flowers side), woodworking...and brewing beer. The last thing I want is to come home and troubleshoot scripts or figure out networking protocol issues. The only real "computer stuff" that gets near my brewing is recipe software and an Inkbird controlling a fermentation chamber.

As far as Epiphanies go...the COVID-era made me realize how much homebrewing is a true passion of mine. It is more than just a hobby to kill time. I really missed being able to share my home brewed beer with others and to sample other homebrews. Part of me wishes that the brewing industry paid more money, but on the other hand, shoveling wet grain and brewing the 100 batch of raspberry wheat might suck the passion out of it for me.

download (1).jpeg

When I saw the thread title I literally thought we would be discussing quality wood finishing, but the truth is even better than that.

Last edited:
I've learned throughout my adult life that because I tend to be high strung/tightly wound that I need frequent hobby time to balance my career and associated social 'workload' in order to tame the beast within. When my schedule hasn't allowed enough hobby time, the pressure would build until I become practically a walking time bomb. That condition has caused a lot of friction at home as well as a level of professional frustration that on occasion has led to blurting out wildly honest opinions to bosses and colleagues. Luckily for me, being brash, opinionated and unvarnished have helped my career more than harmed it, and has even become my defacto calling card, but even still I would prefer to be likable at the office.

For ~18 years my outlet was building r/c planes and boats, which was a great diversion and totally neutralized my inner turmoil; but inevitably, planned outings to fly and sail were spoiled by seasonal climate, weather conditions or pressing timelines at work. The imbalance between tedious hours spent whittling parts vs. time spent actually enjoying my models eventually became yet another source of agitation. I needed a new hobby that could fit better into my schedule.

When I first started homebrewing, I spent months studying the process of making beer while I slowly went about the process of building up my rig. Wiring diagrams, cad models, custom controller, etc. all culminating in a machine that converts my anxieties and frustrations into sweet, healing elixirs. The DIY aspect of the whole process is so multi-faceted that I can devote time to my hobby (and tame the beast) whenever or wherever I am. From Sunday brew sessions with my wife or reading articles on the train to formulating recipes on my lunchbreak and designing labels during long meetings, to even just dreaming up names for my recipes as I lie in bed waiting for sleep, I find that I can fit meaningful, therapeutic hobby time into every single day, no matter how busy I am.

The new friends I've made, irl as well as here on HBT, ancillary hobbies I've picked up, and the bonding experiences aided by pints of delicious homebrew have all enriched my life in ways that are hard to measure.

In a lot of ways, homebrewing has saved me. That's my epiphany.

After studying, brewing regularly, reading this site, and working on the tasting chops; being able to make pro-quality beer is very satisfactory, even if it's small batches. I love tasting new stuff at Total Wine or local breweries/pubs, but being able to skip going because I have 5 gallons of awesome beer that I tastes the way I like it in a keg at home is pretty cool.

Epiphany?

When my wife and I were doing flights at a local brewer and we were able to pick out the flaws in each of the beers they served us (8 different types!). Aside from being disappointing (they had recently changed head brewers and everything was being pulled early and served too soon), recognizing that our palettes were well-trained was a surprise.

Nothing worse than buttery, residual sugars in a DIPA. Damn.

I just had an epiphany.

Sipping on a pint of my latest batch of Rhinestone Carboy stout, I realized, holy $#it! Stout is my favorite style. Before I started brewing, Guinness was the only dark beer I'd drink, and though I really enjoyed it, I viewed it as an exception. All these years and all these beers later, I just now realized why this recipe is my favorite to brew; I freaking love stouts. That's it. I'll drink paler styles, but when the chips are down, give me a stout. Hot weather, cold weather, I don't care just give me a damned stout!!

My epiphanies so far:

This hobby can be as deep or as shallow as you want. You can study the minutia of water chemistry, hop oils, yeast phenolics etc. Or you can dump a bunch of stuff into a bucket with some yeast and call it beer. There's no wrong way to beer if you like it.

If you're just starting all grain aim for either a specific gravity or a target volume, but hitting both is going to be very difficult the first few times.

Take pictures of your brews along with notes you make. It'll help you remember better. I started an instagram account just for this but you don't have to do this step if you don't want to.

You'll hear a lot of advice about taking things slow and changing only one variable at a time. Experimenting with smash beers to get the feel for flavors etc. All of that is good advice especially if you're brewing on a weekly basis. But if you're like me, and time is a hot commodity (I brew 4-6 times a year), we don't have time for those luxuries... Do as much research as you can and brew the best that you know how. Don't be afraid to take risks. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And you'll be sure to enjoy it.

Improvements (whether theoretical or actualized) are as much of the goal to brewing as drinking beer.

There's a thread on here "what I did for beer today" which opened my eyes to the fact that brew days are not the only facet of this hobby. You can still be involved everyday in many small ways. Podcasts, recipes equipment research, books, forums, drinking different styles of commercial beer. There are many opportunities. Just because you don't have time for a brew day does not mean you can't enjoy your favorite hobby today.

My epiphany is that while all the math, science etc are important so is the art. I was watching a biography of Bob Ross, the painter guy who always said there are no mistakes, only happy accidents. That is how I approach my brewing these days. I call it "no stress brewing".

Back