enzyme assistance question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWibble

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm going to brew up my first ever extract brew this weekend. In doing my home work I noticed some people have issues with extracts not converting completly to fermentable sugars resulting in final gravities being a bit high. Is there a way to assist the enzymes in their work? I thought I read that honey has the proper enzymes all ready to go. is that right or did i misunderstand. And if i am correct in that, could I percivably add a few ounces of natural honey with the extract and maybe end up with a higher fermentable sugar percentage hopefully with out messing with the flavor of my beer? Or am I worrying too much about nothing?

Tahnks for all the good info!
MrWibble

Extracts are already converted. You don't add enzymes to them. Malted grains have to be converted in the mash tun.

Most under attenuated beers are that way due to inadequate yeast pitching rates. Pitch enough yeast and keep it happy/healthy and you'll reach the potential you should be reaching.

aeration is also a big factor in attenuation

make sure you aerate the wort a lot before pitching the yeast

pour it back and forth between your kettle and fermenter several times or shake the hell out of it in the bucket/carboy just make sure it's sealed ;)

Ok that makes good sense. Is irish moss handy in extract brewing or is it more for all grain beer? Got a lot of friend that are expecting this to end poorly and i want to prove them very wrong. Hoping for good clean looking beer

Oh and I'm going to make an irish red, in case that makes a difference

Irish moss or whirlfloc will help with extract as well

Have fun tomorrow. It helps to have as much stuff as you can laid out and ready to go to help things go smoother. Keep notes as well so you cab look back at what you did, when etc.

Do you have a way of maintaining a steady temp once you've pitched your yeast?

i have a dark cool closet that doesn't get used for anything. It is now my fermentation chamber complete with a cat proof door! little jerk gets into everything not locked!

Back