Entering a contest. What's my style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comet909

Reaction score
Pretty sure this would go in the specialty beer category but I thought I'd get an opinion first.

It's a cream ale with additions of ourange peel and vanilla bean. I thought for a second about the spice beer category but I think vanilla and orange are considered flavorings more so than spices.

So, it would go under specialty right? Thanks.

What's the contest you are entering in? My beers are nowhere near ready for a contest although I'd like to get feedback.

So why enter? Most do it to learn and improve their brewing. Best way to do that is to make a batch specific for entry, designed per style and scheduled for optimum drinking at contest time. This way you are aiming for a specific Target and it'd easiest to see where aim and accuracy differ

The contest is the worlds largest keg only homebrew competition. Put on by my local homebrew club. After the competition it's a huge homebrew party. A chance to sample over 200 kegs of homebrew. Music, homebrew raffles big party etc. By entering I get to attend the party. That's why I'm entering. I'm pretty sure this beer would go into the specialty category. Couldn't really put it into the cream ale category because the vanilla would be out of style.

Checked the BJCP website and found my answer.

Seems I'll be going with the herb/vegetable/spice beer. 21A

Back