Enough yeast to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Another question that will probably get laughs from the experienced, but I couldn't find anything through my search....

My first batch (an amber ale OG 1.042, SG at racking 1.010) is continuing to sit in the secondary and has cleared up nicely. I brewed Feb. 18, primary went well, racked to secondary 5 days later. I'm planning on leaving it in the secondary until March 12 (I thought about bottling this Sunday, March 5, since I want the beer ready to drink April 1, but figured that might not be long enough to sit and condition). Anyway, I shouldn't have a problem with having enough yeast in my beer when I go to bottle, correct? I've read it's not problem except for beers that have to sit in the secondary for very long or for lagers. It just *seems* like there's nothing in my beer, but I know the yeast are microscopic, I guess I just need to hear it from someone. The experienced, if you'd be so kind to chime in.

Thanks,
Justin

FWIW, I doubt this beer needs to be in secondary that long. 2 weeks in secondary is probably enough. (If my math is right, it's been in secondary a week now, right?)

If you want to be drinking it by 4/1, I'd be more concerned with giving it a full three weeks in the bottle. I've yet to brew anything that didn't taste a whole lot better after three weeks of bottle conditioning than it did after two.

You will have plenty of yeast cells either way.

i read a book by this autistic woman who said that she could see molecules in the air...i sort of believe her, but for the most part microbes are hard to see, even with a microscope. just take some sugar and put it in a glass of water, mix it up and try to see the sugar molecules (they are thier just hidden inside 'spheres of hydration') (i swear thats a real term)

dont worry crystal clear beer still contains im guessing millions of yeast cells...

Ivan Lendl said:
i read a book by this autistic woman who said that she could see molecules in the air...i sort of believe her, but for the most part microbes are hard to see, even with a microscope. just take some sugar and put it in a glass of water, mix it up and try to see the sugar molecules (they are thier just hidden inside 'spheres of hydration') (i swear thats a real term)

dont worry crystal clear beer still contains im guessing millions of yeast cells...

too many homebrews:drunk:

I'd bottle now, mate.

After two weeks in the secondary the beer will benefit more from the time it spends on the bottle from now on.

It'll be fine either way of course, but as was said above, three weeks on the bottle is, almost inevitably, better than two.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

You can to put self a little more ease pitch some dry yeast at bottling time but it is not neccesary. Just rehydrate the yeast as you normally would maybe a little extra gently pour it into your bottling bucket before transferring beer so it will mix and bottle like you normally would. :mug:

For a Hard-Earned Thirst, Homebrew.

Back