enough 2-row in partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'd like to do a partial mash with the following grains. I can only mash a max of about 3.5 lbs of grain given my set-up. I'd rather do a single mash and not steep anything, but I'm not sure if I have enough diastatic power to convert everything. Will I be alright or do I need to change something? I suppose I could use less of a darker crystal malt and then add more 2-row, but I'm not sure what my LHBS has in terms of crystal.

1.25 2-row (Maris Otter)
1.25 Crystal 60L
0.5 Honey malt
0.5 chocolate malt

Crystal and chocolate malt don't need to be converted so you should be fine with 1.25lbs of 2 row to convert .5 of honeymalt. 2 lbs might be better though.

If I remember correctly I once mashed a beer that was 70% pils malt with 30% honey malt. Just give your PM extra time to convert. I asked the malter at gambrinus and he recomended using less than 20%.

It really depends on the diastatic power of the base malt.

Honey malt has virtually no diastatic power.

Two replies in the affirmative (and no answers to the contrary) is good enough for me.

Thanks.

Back