english yeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aug0202

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity 1.092, 90 minute ipa everything on brew day went better than planned. I used a 600 ml. Starter with an English ale yeast that came with that kit from the lhbs. I aerated the wort after I cooled it for approximate 24 hours. When I pitched the starter I had great airlock activity about 3 hours later. Then with the unexpected autumn weather the house heated up to about 88 degrees I couldn't even read the temp on the thermometer attached to the bucket so I threw the bucket in the keezer for a little bit to try and bring the little yeasties back while the temp in the house came down as soon as the thermometer hit 68 I pulled the bucket. It has almost been 24 hours now and I have very little activity with a high gravity beer like this I was expecting activity in the bubbler for at least a 7-10 days. What can I do to ensure this ferments and finishes properly

Leave it alone and control your temps. Giving it some thermal mass should insulate it from any temporary temp fluctuations- a big bucket of water or a bathtub would be easy.

I've made IPA's with WLP002 English Ale and I pitch and ferment with it around 62-64. I'll bring it up a few degrees after 2 weeks to finish it off. I like the yeast but prefer to keep the esters to a minimum, especially for an IPA.

How do I keep the esters to a minimum I assume lower temps = lower esters. Anyhow I'm starting to get a little worried the airlock has had zero activity for 3 days now I think I might have messed them up is there anything I can do besides pitching more yeast I don't have a hydrometer (that broke on Wednesday during cleaning) so o have no idea where my gravity is at or if its stuck. Please help

Exactly which yeast did you use? Each yeast has the preferred temp. ranges listed on the yeast manufacturer's website.

I was initially wrong I used the white lab British ale. With a of of 1.092 where can I expect for this to finish off at I know a regular ale I transfer to keg or bottle below 1.014. With a high gravity like this one how do I know if it is stuck or finished.

To the OP, you are right. Lower temperatures = lower esters. Your airlock isn't a great indicator of fermentation. It may very well be fermenting without much airlock activity. You really need to try to get a new hydrometer ASAP, this is the only way to really track the progress of fermentation. When you think it is near complete you can check the gravity two or three times over a period of several days to see if it's still dropping. If your numbers are consistent, you can bottle. It seems like you probably under pitched though with only a 600ml starter. What temperature do you have it at now? Any Krausen?

No it doesn't have any krausen. I'm planning on getting another hydrometer today and maybe another vial of yeast I have seriously been thinking about repitching the yeast. How big of a starter should I have used? but I will decide after I check the gravity. The beer is being held at 70 degrees

Check the gravity. The high temps may have helped the yeast to finish off.

75% attenuation would get you around 1.022.

So 1.022ish I would be able to transfer to secondary. Thanks!so pretty much if I just do the math and take 75% of the OG that is where it should finish at?

So I bought a new hydrometer and it measured 1.020. I was a little surprised to see that it finished off that fast. When I opened the bucket I had noticed there was a hint if bannanas. I didn't use anything that would put that kind of taste or smell in there. Is this a by product of esters? How do I know when esters are high in the beer?

Good to hear it finished off. Just be sure to check it again in a few days before you bottle it to make sure that it isn't still dropping. That banana you are smelling is for sure the esters. There isn't really a way of measuring the amount of esters, it's just how much of a fruity flavor you are tasting. If you brew this same beer again but stick to the low 60's, I guarantee that you will be able to tell the difference. That's the great thing about brewing. There are so many variables that you can adjust to end up with a product that you like. If you like the esters stick to the higher temperatures, if you want to minimize it, try lower temps.

Don't get me wrong the hydrometer sample tasted good but it wasn't the 90 minute ipa that I was shooting for. I transferee it to secondary and added the dry hops so ill check the reading again next Saturday hopefully the bandanna smell and taste mellows out some.

Back