English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesforme

Reaction score
Hello this is my second post and I have brewed about 20gals so far and I have thought about moving to all grain but i have decided to better my extract brewing first and just upgrade my current equipment and maybe do some partial mash. I live in an apartment so electric is the only route. Any way this is my first attempt at designing a recipe.

3 lbs Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
1 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Specialty Grain
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt (40.0 SRM) Specialty Grain
2.00 oz Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop
1.0 pkg European Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1338) [ Yeast 7

I have read that English IPA have more malt flavor than hops so an ideas or corrections would be appreciated

Thanks!

Ok, my thoughts.
I presume you will use an English yeast such as WLP002, WLP022 (I like this one) or what not?

You might consider dropping the liquid Amber and replace it with some of the Muntons or any other Maris Otter extract. Or replace all the Amber and Pale with M.O. extract.
That being said, I am not a huge fan of overly sweet beer.
I like your hop selection.
You might consider dry hopping with the Brambling as well or with some EKG or Fuggles or Willamette.

Cheers and good luck with your upcoming beer!

steep grains for 30 min at 155.0 Fep. grains for 30 min at 155.0 F
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lb - Biscuit Malt - Steep prior to boil (8.8%) - 23.0 SRM -
Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort 30 min - Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort Steep Complete

boil 60 mins
3 lb 4.8 oz - Amber Liquid Extract - Boil (28.9%) - 12.5 SRM
6 lb 9.6 oz - Pale Liquid Extract - Boil (57.9%) 8.0 SRM
Add Ingredients 1.50 oz - Target - Boil 45 min (41.9 IBUs)
Add Ingredients 0.50 oz - Target - Boil 15 min (7.6 IBUs)
Add Ingredients 1.00 oz - Bramling Cross - Boil 10 min

steep grains for 30 min at 155.0 Fep. grains for 30 min at 155.0 F
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lb - Biscuit Malt - Steep prior to boil (8.8%) - 23.0 SRM -
Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort 30 min - Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort Steep Complete

boil 60 mins
3 lb 4.8 oz - Amber Liquid Extract - Boil (28.9%) - 12.5 SRM
6 lb 9.6 oz - Pale Liquid Extract - Boil (57.9%) 8.0 SRM
Add Ingredients 1.50 oz - Target - Boil 45 min (41.9 IBUs)
Add Ingredients 0.50 oz - Target - Boil 15 min (7.6 IBUs)
Add Ingredients 1.00 oz - Bramling Cross - Boil 10 min

The first thing to do is get rid of the "amber liquid extract" and replace it with pale. Then, you can add caramel malt if you want more than the 8 oz of the 20L in the steep. Biscuit malt is nice in small doses, but I think 1 pound is way too much for an English IPA.

For hops, I'd add more hops late in the boil, and particularly like East Kent Goldings at 15/0 minutes in the boil.

i added an oz of golding at 15mins and changed the hop line up alittle... 1oz target 60mins
1oz target 15mins
1oz bramling cross 10.
and the sourthern cross dry hop
i cut back the biscut malt to.5lb and increased the carmal to 1.5lb
i alsk changed tthe mber to pale.
i plan on using this recipe as my first fulboil. im using heatsticks to boil two 1500 watt.

1.5 LBs of Caramel or crystal is rather high for your 9 or so LBs of malt base (at least for my taste). That being said, there is nothing like doing and learning to figure out what you like and what ingredients do. I am a big fan of the target and Goldling hops. And if you end up liking the extra sweetness in the brew (from the high crystal additions), well, that is all that really matters (you are brewing for yourself after all).

Cheers and good luck on your brew.

Back