English IPA with West Yorkshire Ale 1469

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I am looking to brew an English IPA, something along the lines of the following, but will likely raise the gravity and IBUs to get it closer to 7.0% and 65-70 IBUs.

Thanks to @MrBowenz for the recipe.

I am trying to select and consistently use 2 to 3 yeast strains and would like to stick with West Yorkshire Ale (1469), 67-71% attenuation, as my English yeast. I use this for my Bitters and Porters. I'd like to stick with 1469 as my English yeast. But, I am worried that the attenuation is too low for a good IPA. So, I am thinking of adding sugar to dry out the beer and stick with the 1469 rather than using a more attenuative (sp?) English yeast.

Is my logic right?

Anyone have any experience with using 1469 with an English IPA?

Other thoughts appreciated too.

Thank you.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.13 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.58 %
6.4 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
5.4 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.84 %
1.25 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.062 SG (1.050-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM (8.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 33.1 IBU (40.0-60.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.10 % (5.00-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.26 %
Actual Calories: 257 cal/pint

Hmmm, 57 views and no replies.

Guess I'll just have to add sugar and see what happens.

Good plan I have an esb on tap that I used 1469 with that had 1 lb of lyles golden syrup to dry it out a bit, very tasty. I do that regularly with hoppier beers and inefficient strains. Recipe looks good too, except for the Chinook which looks out of place to me. Should be good if you're a fan of those hops though, good luck.

For your 30min and 10min "aroma/steep" hops, are those added to the boil or during a whirlpool/hopstand?

I agree that the chinook looks out of place, but it's not entirely inappropriate.

Also, if you're trying to dry it out why use so much 60L? Kind of working against yourself there.

I use 1469 in more than half my beers (a lot of bitters) and I think with the right grain profile and mash it attenuates pretty well. Nothing wrong with adding a little sugar, though.

Just a heads up, your recipe lists 1275.

With a low mash temp and enough sugar you should be able to get it to drop to 1.012 or so. My most recent batch got 82% attenuation with 1099 and its usually pretty low attenuating. 10% sugar, 5% c60 and the bulk maris otter. Mash at 148-150 and you should be able to get what you want there. Maybe cut the crystal in your recipe to 2/3 of what you have listed

KOAmps, Riot and Gameface - Thank you for the replies. I am starting with a recipe from mrbowenz posted here on HBT. As it has received a number of positive reviews, I wasn't going to mess with it much at all. But, you make a good point about the 60L - I'll probably reduce that some; maybe down to 7 ounces or the like.

Thanks again folks for the input. I'll post the final recipe I use and try to remember to follow-up after brewing it.

KOAmps, Riot and Gameface - Thank you for the replies. I am starting with a recipe from mrbowenz posted here on HBT. As it has received a number of positive reviews, I wasn't going to mess with it much at all. But, you make a good point about the 60L - I'll probably reduce that some; maybe down to 7 ounces or the like.

Thanks again folks for the input. I'll post the final recipe I use and try to remember to follow-up after brewing it.

I'm really curious how you're going to add the aroma steep hops. You have times that make it seem like they are going to be added with 30min and 10min left in the boil but they are listed as aroma /steep, which means they are being calculated as flameout additions. You're gonna get different IBUs and overall characteristics if you add them to the boil (which makes them boil hops, even if added late for flavor and aroma). On the other hand, you could use them as whirlpool/hopstand additions and hold a specific temp after the boil (different people use different hopstand temps, but somewhere between 190-160F) to get a lot more flavor and aroma out of them, as well as a little bitterness.

If they are going in at any point during the boil then you should change them to boil hops so that BS calculates their IBU contribution correctly.

I'm really curious how you're going to add the aroma steep hops. You have times that make it seem like they are going to be added with 30min and 10min left in the boil but they are listed as aroma /steep, which means they are being calculated as flameout additions. You're gonna get different IBUs and overall characteristics if you add them to the boil (which makes them boil hops, even if added late for flavor and aroma). On the other hand, you could use them as whirlpool/hopstand additions and hold a specific temp after the boil (different people use different hopstand temps, but somewhere between 190-160F) to get a lot more flavor and aroma out of them, as well as a little bitterness.

If they are going in at any point during the boil then you should change them to boil hops so that BS calculates their IBU contribution correctly.

Very good point. I think that question was asked and not answered in the recipe thread. I will have to go back and search. But, without having plugged it into BeerSmith yet, it seems like they would have to be standard 30 and 10 minute additions to get the right IBUs. In any event, I'll use the 65-70 IBU target and work from there to figure it out.

That recipe won gold at GABF in the pro-am category - it's solid.

What are you mashing this beer at?

Those attenuation numbers are really just guidelines, by manipulating your mashing profile, aeration of the wort, pitching rates, fermentation temperatures, and adding things like sugar, you can get pretty high attenuation with most strains.

Back