English IPA - Fuggles and/or EKG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Brewing an English IPA this weekend - mostly Marris Otter w/ a tiny bit of medium crystal. WYeast 1968.

Do you reckon I should use both Fuggles and EKG and if so, what ratio, for bittering/flavour/dry-hop?

I was thinking 1.062OG, 40g of each @ 60m, 20g of each @ 15 min, 40g of each at flameout - for a total 48 IBUs. Then 50g of each for dry-hop.

Does that seem excessive? Do you reckon I'll notice the difference compared with just using the same amount of Fuggles OR East Kent Golding?

Personally Id use all EKG for a english IPA. Its more floral, Im not a fan of fuggles in a pale ale. Opinions vary. 50g each for a dry hop seems a bit excessive to me for a brittish ipa. Especially with the large flameout addition. But EKG is a milder hop than most C hops if you are used to american IPAs.

The usual way to go is to use only EKG for the dry hop and more Fuggles in the boil. I like both; EKG is floral and slightly orangey, Fuggles is earthy, floral and herbal. EKG is the 'finer' hop in a way, but both do well. Fuggles can get a bit lost in a dry hop, though.

I like fuggles, so I guess I would use fuggles to bitter, fuggles and ekg at flameout, and dry hop ekg, maybe a little fuggles.

See if you can get Challanger or Target higher alpha British hops for the bittering. It reduces the vegetative material in the kettle and still has that "British" taste. I mix Fuggles and EKG later then just 28 g of EKG in the dry hop. I like 60'ish IBU for an British IPA.

Rudeboy

Last edited:
I'm a fan of using Northdown for bittering and finish with EKG. I do like your ratios though. Sounds like a good recipe.

My hop profile goes ND-60 ND/EKG-20 EKG-0

The usual way to go is to use only EKG for the dry hop and more Fuggles in the boil. I like both; EKG is floral and slightly orangey, Fuggles is earthy, floral and herbal. EKG is the 'finer' hop in a way, but both do well. Fuggles can get a bit lost in a dry hop, though.

This^

I have a English Brown IPA (well, nearly IPA). Bittered with Fuggles, used a bit of fuggles near the end at 5 minutes with EKG. Whirlpooled 2oz of EKG and 1oz of Fuggles. Then dry hopped with 2oz of EKG. Still keeps getting tastier and tastier.

I agree that you could finish it off with EKG or fuggle, but you'd need like a pound of them to get an actual IPA. There are many other english varieties with higher alpha content. Try target, bramling cross, northdown or pilgrim

Northern Brewer is another hop choice. It's a dual-purpose hop. I used a bit as a FWH on an English pale ale I did a couple months back. Turned out pretty nice

Well I've bought the ingredients - brewing on Monday. It's gonna be a Marris Otter & EKG Smash. 300g (10.5oz) of EKG in total.

Personally Id use all EKG for a english IPA. Its more floral, Im not a fan of fuggles in a pale ale. Opinions vary. 50g each for a dry hop seems a bit excessive to me for a brittish ipa. Especially with the large flameout addition. But EKG is a milder hop than most C hops if you are used to american IPAs.

What happens when you go excessive with EKG dry hop?

Latest posts

Back