Engine block/oil pan/battery heaters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a heating solution for my conical fermenter and would like to be able to heat up into the 90s for saison and kveik yeast. Most of the carboy heaters will not really fit under a neoprene jacket - they're the wrong shape. For a 7 gal conical, it seems like the Spike 85W cone heater is the best option but it's quite pricey. SS Brewtech doesn't sell their heating element as a standalone unit and I have no need for the controller or the other stuff that comes with it.

Is anyone using something like this to heat a stainless conical? It says that it puts out 100W over a 4x5 inch area, which is definitely higher watt density than some of the brewing-specific heaters. My main concern is that it's going to get so hot that it melts the neoprene jacket or that it's going to cook the beer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N41RC1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8&psc=1

I'm looking for a heating solution for my conical fermenter and would like to be able to heat up into the 90s for saison and kveik yeast. Most of the carboy heaters will not really fit under a neoprene jacket - they're the wrong shape. For a 7 gal conical, it seems like the Spike 85W cone heater is the best option but it's quite pricey. SS Brewtech doesn't sell their heating element as a standalone unit and I have no need for the controller or the other stuff that comes with it.

Is anyone using something like this to heat a stainless conical? It says that it puts out 100W over a 4x5 inch area, which is definitely higher watt density than some of the brewing-specific heaters. My main concern is that it's going to get so hot that it melts the neoprene jacket or that it's going to cook the beer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N41RC1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8&psc=1

Is this a garage fermentor? The obvious thought is heat tape, the type used for pipes.

Anyway, be careful insulating a heater - bad things can happen. It's pretty amazing how fast a little fire in a garage ends up totaling a $600k house... I watched one a few months ago (called 911 and the owners myself ).

1607112994944.png

I guess that regardless of whether it's in the garage or the house, fire is a bad thing. There are heaters with auto-shutoff designed for car batteries. The oil pan heaters can get much hotter but still have a thermal shutoff far below the melting/burning point of neoprene.

Back