energizer and nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekwaste

Reaction score
hey! I'm using this recipe, and am wondering if I should go ahead and add energizer even if it doesn't call for it? I'm using Carlson products. Should I substitute some of the recommended nutrient for energizer? Should i follow the instructions on the energizer label? I am also doubling the recipe. Does that make a difference?

1 packetCuvee Yeast
6 lbsClover Honey
3 TbspAcid Blend
5 tspYeast Nutrient
5 tabletsCampden Potassium Metabisulphite

The terms nutrient and energiser are often used in opposites.

Nutrient is usually pure or near pure DAP (diammonium phosphate) and looks like white crystals (like table sugar).

Energiser is like a "complete" yeast food, containing DAP, yeast hulls, thiamine, riboflavin and other materials that give some nitrogen and the other elements yeast need - it often looks like a tan/biege powder.

I suspect that these are often mixed just to provide more nitrogen at lower cost. Nutrient is cheaper but only provides nitrogen, energiser gives less nitrogen but all the other non-nitrogen requirements.

I usually mix mine as 2 parts energiser to 1 part nutrient.

Stuff like the Fermaidk energiser gives 110 ppm per gramme per litre and DAP/nutrient gives 200 ppm per gramme per litre.....

Requirements are about 200 ppm per litre for the 12 to 14% ABV and strengths above that need about 350 to 400 ppm per litre.....

Back