End Of The World Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranny04

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a barleywine on 12-21-12. This is the recipe.

20# Maris Otter
.75# C 80
7oz Acid Malt (PH adjustment)
3 oz Black Patent
1# D-90 Candi Syrup (Added 2 days after pitching yeast)

2 oz Horizon @ 60

Mash @ 154

Wyeast 9097 Old Ale Blend

I plan on boiling for 120 min.

I also plan on following Ajdelange Water Chem Primer: So i'll add 4g Gypsum and 3.5g of Calcium Chloride per 5 gallons of water

I'm thinking of making a 1.035 - 1.040 mild as a started beer to grow this yeast up....

Thoughts?

Everything looks good, I would mash at 152 or extend your mash to 90 minutes to get the best possible attenuation. I agree with brewing a smaller beer to make some yeast, but I would definitely use a calculator to determine how much slurry to pitch rather than just dumping it on the yeast cake.

I'm currently trying to put together a BW recipe as well. What is your motivation behind using the black? Is it solely for color, or are you trying to get a certain flavor out of it?

Also, why no late hop additions? Is it really not worth it since you'll be aging it? Would the impact of late hop additions have dissipated after a year?

loetz said:
I'm currently trying to put together a BW recipe as well. What is your motivation behind using the black? Is it solely for color, or are you trying to get a certain flavor out of it?

Also, why no late hop additions? Is it really not worth it since you'll be aging it? Would the impact of late hop additions have dissipated after a year?

The black malt is just for color really...

I'm toying with the idea of some late hops. Maybe some EKG @15 & flame out... But I don't know if it will matter. I'm going to age it close to a year so the Brett in the old ale blend has a chance to develop (though I'm not sure how effective the Brett will be with a high OG)

I brewed a Pannepot clone 6 weeks back except I used American Farmhouse WLP670. It's a big Belgian Strong Dark ale on par with a barley wine. I mashed at 155, yet with the Brett in that mix, it dried out nicely. Still plenty of body, but deceptively drinkable. I think your mash temp is fine. Mouthfeel and body was moderate and slick, but I had oats in the recipe. Those were a sub for flaked maize in the original recipe. I did that based on Chad Yakobsen's comments on a BN Session. You might consider a pound of flaked oats in there to treat the Brett. Or pick up some Simpson's Golden Naked oats. I like those as well. I just used 10% in a multi-grain barley wine with 20% rye, 30% wheat and 40% Vienna.

I love Pannepot. I wouldn't mind seeing your recipe.

I think I might need to use some black in my bw as well because I'm having a hard time getting the 18srm that I want just using my carmel malts.

Why did you go with Crystal 80? Jamil suggests that 120 and caramunich are the best options for the plum and fig traits that some people expect in beers of this style. He says you get these flavors especially from the 120. I'm not critiquing your recipe here, I'm just curious how yours will taste in comparison. I have only crystal 60 and a few roasted grains on hand and I'm wondering if that would be good or if I need to order something else.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/English-Barleywine-The-Jamil-Show-07-16-07

As always, the first 15 minutes of the episode can be skipped. You wouldn't miss anything important.

Jamil's Hard and Hardy
5 gal
1.100 OG
1.024 FG
63 IBU
15 SRM
10.2% ABV

UK Pale Ale Malt 21.5 lbs
US Caramel 120L Malt 0.62 lbs
US Caramel Munich 60L Malt 0.62 lbs

Mash at 150F/66C

He suggests sparging extra water and doing a very long boil to get some melanoidin for that added malty flavor. Maybe even a two hour boil.

1.4oz Horizon pellets 13%AA - 60min (60IBU) [Or any other clean high alpha hop]
0.6oz Kent Goldings pellets 5%AA - 20min (3.3IBU)
0.6oz Kent Goldings pellets 5%AA - 0min

Wyeast 1028-London Ale or Whitelabs WLP013 London Ale or Nottingham.
Needs 18-20 grams of rehydrated dry yeast or 4 liquid yeast packages or make a starter or pitch off of another batch.
If you use a different yeast, you might need to add sugars to dry it out.

Ferment at 68F/20C.
Raise the temp to 70F/21C for the last 1/3 of fermentation.
Raising the temp will get rid of a lot of the diacetyl that the English yeasts make. Otherwise it might taste buttery.
Terminal gravity after 10 days.
Rack after 14days.

Bottle after a month or two. You might need to add a half a tube or pack of yeast for the carbonation.

He suggests not using champagne yeast like some people on this forum use in their Bigfoot clones.

loetz said:

I think I might need to use some black in my bw as well because I'm having a hard time getting the 18srm that I want just using my carmel malts.

Why did you go with Crystal 80? Jamil suggests that 120 and caramunich are the best options for the plum and fig traits that some people expect in beers of this style. He says you get these flavors especially from the 120. I'm not critiquing your recipe here, I'm just curious how yours will taste in comparison. I have only crystal 60 and a few roasted grains on hand and I'm wondering if that would be good or if I need to order something else.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/English-Barleywine-The-Jamil-Show-07-16-07

As always, the first 15 minutes of the episode can be skipped. You wouldn't miss anything important.

C80 because I like the smooth caramel sweetness it has, also I'm using the D-90 syrup. That should add a nice toasted bread and toffee character. As for the stone fruit traits (Fig and Plum) I'm going to let the yeast/Brett take care of that. I like C120 but, with this recipe, I was worried that the flavors of the Brett and Candi syrup would become muddled with C120. I think C80 will be a nice foundation for those flavors.

I've never used this yeast before but wyeast says it creates a fruity finish, with pie cherry and sourness from the Brett.

For my barley wine I used a little each of C55, C95, Special B and black primarily to simulate complex aged flavors so I could drink it younger. It was a small batch, but I over sparged and ended up with double my pre-boil volume. So I split it to 2 kettles and boiled for 2+ hours. Lots of darkening and caramelization happened. If color is the only aim, an aggressive boil should also do the trick.

loetz said:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pannepot-old-fishermans-ale-clone-thread-244164/

CSI and Tall Yotie did all the work. Then I recently blended their recipes together for my small batch attempt with the Brett twist.

Back